2000 vs 2001

9 replies to this topic
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 13, 2001 - 11:54 AM

Does anyone know the differences between the 2 model years, besides "bold new graphics"? There's about a $400 difference between them at my local dealership. Is it worth it?

Thanks

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 19, 2001 - 06:00 PM

WOW.

Lots of traffic in this discussion group...either means that the XR650R is the world's most reliable bike (wouldn't surprise me) or no one knows (or cares). I'm a WR400 owner and the list traffic in that group is tremendous, probably due to the fact that they break down so much and require a lot of maintenance and modifications.

A friend of mine is considering a new bike and he was interested in a WR426. I've been trying to steer him towards an XR because they're so reliable (and because he's about 6'4" and probably 275 lb). There are both 2000 and '01 models available and the '01's are about $400 more expensive. Is it worth it for an '01?

Also, there's a lot of tight trails and sugar sand/woops where we ride so handling is as important as the motor. Does anyone have any advice? How does and XR stand up in tight, sandy trails?

Thanks

• Clark_Mason

Posted February 19, 2001 - 07:07 PM

Rich in Orlando

I own both the 01 XR650R and a 99 WZ420. they both are excellent bikes and both can do it all. The big XR is more confortable to ride long distances it is a better dual sport bike because of its better road maners. The WZ is much better on tight trails is 30lbs lighter, more nimble and less stable. I need a plate and in Calif the only dirt bike that can now be plated is the XR line so I went for the new XR and I like it alot. Fortunalty, I imported my WR400 from Airzona in 99 and it has the correct VIN so I also have a plate on it.

If I go riding where there is more street than trails I always ride the XR. If I go to the desert open high speed suff again the XR. If I go to the mountains and ride trails always the WZ420. If its a more trail and less street again the WZ420.

The action on the internet for the XR650R is in egroups the XR650R group over 4800 posts in the last year and all topics discussed just like Thumpertalk and the WR/YZ

Good luck

Clark

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 20, 2001 - 07:04 AM

Thanks, Clark. That's good info. Someone who owns both bikes is probably the best person to answer my questions. (I recognize your name from the WR group.) I also have to admit that I have a little selfish interest in my friend getting an XR: I'll probably get a chance to ride it.

Rich

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 22, 2001 - 06:17 AM

If you want a link for some power up mods:
http://members.nbci....oth/nonepa.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650RFIRE

Posted February 23, 2001 - 09:32 PM

I had to pick between the 00 and01 also. I decided to go with a 01, because I could. I wanted to buy a brand new bike that was new, this year model. They are identical bikes, but the 00 is 1 year older. If you got the dough then buy the 01, if you want to save money that you'll spend later doing add on's ie exhaust, jetting, smog kit, airfilter,then buy the 00 and blow the extra money to make the XR650R run right.

• Johnny_Knoxville

Posted February 26, 2001 - 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:
WOW.

Lots of traffic in this discussion group...either means that the XR650R is the world's most reliable bike (wouldn't surprise me) or no one knows (or cares). I'm a WR400 owner and the list traffic in that group is tremendous, probably due to the fact that they break down so much and require a lot of maintenance and modifications.

YEah I noticed theres alot of Wrs' for sale in that messege board.Not a real good sign

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 27, 2001 - 01:13 PM

I hate to say it, but if I were buying a new bike, a WR wouldn't be at the top of my list. When it's running-can't beat the fun factor, but I'm constantly working on it. I don't go more than a couple of weeks before SOMETHING else breaks. My current dilemma: I've got to replace the rear wheel bearings before this weekend's camping/riding trip. I think I would have had to sacrifice a little performance to go to an XR (I'm talking 400 here), but the gains in reliablity would have been worth it.

• Johnny_Knoxville

Posted February 27, 2001 - 06:03 PM

Yeah what fun is owning a bike when you have to work on it more than you ride it.Too bad all the new water-cooled bikes are more maintenance intensive.A XR-400 makes more sense everyday.Too bad Suzuki does'nt make the air-cooled ones anymore,I got almost 30,000 miles out of my 92 DR-250 before I retired her and all she needed was a change of oil and tires to keep her running,never been to a shop once.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Knoxville (edited 02-27-2001).]

• brn2rde

Posted February 28, 2001 - 09:02 PM

I don't want to start anything, but you really ought to consider the KTM 4strokes. If you would have told me 2 years ago that I would be riding a bike built by team k-mart I woulda' laughed my head off. I recently bought a 520mxc, and it is an incredible ride. If you would have asked me 2 months ago which bike I wanted, I would have told you a WR426. In fact the dealer had one with my name on it. But after ALOT of research, time online, comparing specs and testimonials, I came to the relization that if I am gonna spend this kind of money on a new plaything, I needed to get the most for my buck. There is no question that the KTM offers far superior components STOCK, the kind of thing you will normally need to replace if you opt for the WR or the XR(pipe,hyd.clutch,magura bars, ect.) And we won't even talk about the electric start. Did I mention that it weighs less than either the WR or The XR. The mags all talk about the suspension being too soft. Yea, only if you are coming down from 30ft constantly, and don't do any play riding on the trails. I'll stop now. I hate it when people jabber on and on and on and....

------------------
Steve (degeyter@cpros.com) 01' 520MXC 1992 Oregon cross country & ISDE 4stroke state champ (When 4strokes were made with solid 24carat lead)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.