suspension setup

5 replies to this topic
  • c2

Posted December 12, 2000 - 06:25 AM

I'm looking for some settings that some of you use to get a rough idea on where to start. I just can't seem to get my suspension dialed in. I'm 160 lbs. WITHOUT gear and ride pretty much trails only. Very rocky/rooty trails with lots of rock gardens. I live in southern PA to be exact. Thanks for any info. Looking for click settings. Thanks again.

• Scott_F

Posted December 12, 2000 - 07:32 AM

You're going to need a lot more than clicker settings. You need a revalve, and if I were you, I would try lighter springs.

• Taffy

Posted December 12, 2000 - 09:57 AM

i disagree, i think these things were set up for trail riders that weigh 160LB!!

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted December 12, 2000 - 07:27 PM

I had the same problem with my 99 WR the mid stroke harsness killed me when hitting square edged or other abrupt stuff (roots, rocks, etc) with the suspension partilally compressed. I could not be adjusted out by me. I Went to ligher springs (0.43's), a complete revalve and ran the oil at 100mm. I'm 230lbs in riding gear. The work was done by George at Scotts Perfromance and it turned out very well. I only trail ride in the summer and ride flat out in the desert during the winter--no motocross or extream jumps.

Clark

• James_Dean

Posted December 13, 2000 - 09:43 PM

c2,
See the posting "Fork revalving shims and stacking"

First try softening the compression adjusters 2 clicks at a time.

I couldn't get the harshness out with the adjusters without producing a loose feeling, so went for the fork revalve. Just for the rocks and roots.

James

• c2

Posted December 14, 2000 - 05:37 AM

James,
I was afraid I'd get that answer. You're totally right about the loose feeling also. Damn, setting this bike up is gonna bankrupt me. Thanks for the info.

Chris

Originally posted by James Dean:
c2,
See the posting "Fork revalving shims and stacking"

First try softening the compression adjusters 2 clicks at a time.

I couldn't get the harshness out with the adjusters without producing a loose feeling, so went for the fork revalve. Just for the rocks and roots.

James

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.