old school xr350 question

2 replies to this topic
  • bart9505

Posted January 25, 2001 - 02:09 PM

I've gotten a new wr426 and I have a '97 scrambler 400, so I don't ride my '84 xr 350 much any more. I'm pretty sure it's an xl with all the extras taken off and dirt tires put on, but it also has a disc front brake and nitrogen charged front forks. Does anyone know if the xl and the xr used the same suspension components? I recently rode (briefly) a '84 cr 250, and the suspension looked the same, but felt much nicer than my old tank. (the cr is for sale for $600)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted January 25, 2001 - 06:26 PM

no, the XL suspension is different from the XR bikes. they usually have about 1-2" less travel and sometimes use smaller front forks. The rear shocks do not have the remote resevior on it either--that is an easy way to tell an 80s XL bike. ALso look for the rear passenger foot pegs on the swing arm or frame. That would set you off to an XL. Also check the VIN plate on the steering head. it should name the year and model.

• bonez34

Posted February 12, 2001 - 09:32 PM

my friend had an 85 XL350 and bought a 85-86 XR600 rolling chassis for $75. we took the forks off, had the tripleclamps machined to fit the 600 forks and bolted them right on. the rear shock with piggy back was a bitch to get on but it required no more than a couple whacks from a hammer and a 350lb friend named TINY. the plushness of that machine was AWESOME and we never-ever bottomed it out, metal gas tank and all!!!!

------------------
DRZ400E: Where's the power on this thing?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.