Q's on shift problems with the POS 87 XR600

4 replies to this topic
  • flyinW

Posted August 31, 2004 - 05:04 PM

Well guys...

Sometimes you get what you pay for... meaning that XR600 for $200 was a bit of a rip-off. Compression is good, F&R tires are in good shape, forks need new seals, frame is cracked where the kick-stand used to be, owner promised pinkslip and still hasn't returned the phone calls, seat is shot and needs recover, needs bars, electrical work, clutch, plastics, air filter, carb rebuild, new kick-starter spring return, some gaskets and seals here and there and a new exhaust system....

But most of all I need some help in getting the thing to shift out of first gear. Everything turns, piston goes up & down, the tranny and gears seem to go round and round just fine..(no crunching or grinding or binding) and the pig was picked up in nuetral. In an effort to get the thing started we put a shift lever on it and thought that we could bump-start her... shifted into first and then it got frozen there!! I've done everything short of hitting the lever with a BFH to get it into nuetral or even second (would be a lot easier to bump-start)... Any Ideas??

• tntmo

Posted August 31, 2004 - 08:29 PM

Where in San Diego are you? I'll take a look at it and see if I can help. Check your PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted September 02, 2004 - 11:19 AM

Sell it for $300 to a guy with an XR650L who wants kick start...

• flyinW

Posted September 03, 2004 - 04:06 PM

tnt left you a PM

• thumpasaurus

Posted September 04, 2004 - 09:38 AM

My 92 had similar symptoms a year or so ago. I couldn't get it out of first/neutral without a lot of jimmying around w/ the shift lever. Turned out that star shaped thing bolted to the end of the shift drum under the right cover (provides the detente between gears) had come loose and was getting jammed up w/ the little wheel thing that rides on it. It was an easy fix. cleaned it up w/ dremel and put it back on w/ loctite on the bolt.

Hope that's all it is for you too.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.