Posted September 01, 2004 - 12:26 PM

Lukejt,

Thanks for the tips.
I can't wait to go get this thing.

ripntear

• ripntear

Posted September 01, 2004 - 12:39 PM

berudd,

I do know that tires can make a difference. This bike has the original factory tires. Not sure what they are yet, but I will change if needed. Most of our riding around here is in the sand.

I am sure I will have a learning curve to get the starting down. Time and good lungs is all it takes!

ripntear

• ripntear

Posted September 01, 2004 - 01:46 PM

rws,

"I'm happy to report that I am enjoying the ride. The power delivery is excellent, the agility is good and I haven't noticed anything negative about the bikes handling yet."

You are making me feel better and better about this bike!
jumping from some tame 2strokes to this running grunter is going to be such a rush!!!!!!!!!. Hopefully I can keep up with my buds who all ride 2Stroke KTMs' and (1) odd ball who rides the living crude out of his ATK.
I sent pics to them last night of the 426, they all called and said that it was weird to see the blue plastic instead of the KTM orange.

ripntear

• ripntear

Posted September 01, 2004 - 01:54 PM

Hick,

Thanks for your input!
If I enjoy riding it any more than I did my previous KTMs', It wont be long before I have my buddies converted from orange to BLUE!

ripntear

• Godzuki

Posted September 01, 2004 - 02:20 PM

hehe up here in the michigan woods most things are blue but there is alot of orange to, with splashes of red, on the track however it is a differnt story its almost all honda four strokes. i love my 426 it does everything i like to do and it does it great, i do alittle motox and right now mostly woods. i tend to rear steer it but if i want to it turns great using the front tire to hehe like most have said it is point an shoot lots of grunt every where, it does have lots of engin braking this i like but it hurts my speed at the track because i forget about it and i start running slower due to i let off early as if i was on a 2 stroke this is also my first high performance 4 stroke so i know how you are feeling. trust me i am as happy as can be, if yamaha comes out with a alum frame ill be happyer. i have rode the crf 450 it feels a good deal lighter than the yzf, i also rode the crf 250x a crap load lighter feeling but the bars are weird feeling. right now the guys i ride with are on the 2 bikes above and a drz400s, a ktm 520, 2 wr 250's, 1 yz 250f, 1 wr 450, and a dual sported crf 450f. all pretty much the same in the woods.

• ripntear

Posted September 01, 2004 - 04:38 PM

Godzuki,

Sounds like you are having fun up in Michigan! We have several places to ride around here, but not alot of woods. Mainly hardpack and sand. If we want the woods we go to the NM mountains. They are closer than the CO mountains. It really is a fairly even mix of the 5 mfgrs down here. KTM has really came on strong here in the last 4yrs. I was KTM before KTM was cool, but I am ready for a change and it sounds like I am in for a BIG change.
The engine braking is probably the one area that I feel I will have the hardest time adjusting to, but I may actually like it! A riding buddy of mine once said "Bikes are an adrenaline release vehicle. Your dosage depends on your right hand".
Take care,

ripntear

• rws

Posted September 02, 2004 - 09:50 AM

ripntear,

the one thing that immediately caused me concern when jumping this bike... the engine decelleration. It pulls the front wheel down with great force. After nearly going over the bars 3 times [I'm sometimes slow to learn :thumbsup:] I realized that I had to gas it over the jump to get the bike to "fly right". I hope you enjoy your ride as much as I have mine! :devil:

• 4two6stroker

Posted September 02, 2004 - 10:30 AM

I've also looked into the Majic Link and asked if any TTers have done the mod. I got one responce from a guy who claimed it made the bike turn inside 125s on the track. He also claimed to get the part for 100bucks. Ty says he won't sell it for less than 180+shipping. It says in Ty's ad that it will make the bike handel like the 02 and it's younger sibs. I know one thing after you change the link you'll need to reset all the adjustments to make it work. When I asked the 5$ per hr guy if they recomended a neutral area to start at he said no. If Ty wants to sell his link to me 1.it needs to be cheaper 2.I need more info other than it takes some getting the part in place and goodluck. 3. This mod would eliminate having to rework your perfectly good rear shock/spring combo. :thumbsup: I do like the feul screw he offers,and the braces for the radiators.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted September 02, 2004 - 08:50 PM

I've also looked into the Majic Link and asked if any TTers have done the mod. I got one responce from a guy who claimed it made the bike turn inside 125s on the track. He also claimed to get the part for 100bucks. Ty says he won't sell it for less than 180+shipping. It says in Ty's ad that it will make the bike handel like the 02 and it's younger sibs. I know one thing after you change the link you'll need to reset all the adjustments to make it work. When I asked the 5$ per hr guy if they recomended a neutral area to start at he said no. If Ty wants to sell his link to me 1.it needs to be cheaper 2.I need more info other than it takes some getting the part in place and goodluck. 3. This mod would eliminate having to rework your perfectly good rear shock/spring combo. :thumbsup: I do like the feul screw he offers,and the braces for the radiators.

That was me you are refering to. What new questions do you have on the link?

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted September 02, 2004 - 09:38 PM

ripntear,

the one thing that immediately caused me concern when jumping this bike... the engine decelleration. It pulls the front wheel down with great force. After nearly going over the bars 3 times [I'm sometimes slow to learn :awww:] I realized that I had to gas it over the jump to get the bike to "fly right". I hope you enjoy your ride as much as I have mine! :devil:

I also have a 00 426 and have heard people talk about the issues with De-Acceleration and the impact on cornering and jumping.

I have not seen this at all with my 426 (Bought the bike used so I am not sure what the previous owner may have did -or mine just doesn't do it)

I actually coasted into the corners and over the jumps until I got the throttle control down. Now I am on the gas all the time in the corners and over the jumps.

I have never seen the engine braking everyone talks about. Hell - I have less engine braking than any 2-Stroke I have ridden and my 426 almost lopes like a Harley at idle. (Except is is louder) :thumbsup:

Am I the only one seeing this?

- RCD

• rws

Posted September 03, 2004 - 09:18 AM

I suspect the situations that I've gotten into were primarily due to riding too slow or being in too low of a gear for the condition. Currently I have only about 15 hours on the bike [just don't get to ride nearly enough]. I'm getting more comfortable with its behavior and therefore minimizing the effects of the engine decelleration.

Looking to put more hours on the bike in the morning [Saturday and all the chores have been done already, so I got a "pass" to go ride for the morning] :thumbsup:

Again... the ONLY thing that I have noticed wrong with the bike is I don't get to ride it enough :devil:

• berudd

Posted September 03, 2004 - 11:52 AM

I don't notice the decel braking either. Until I ride a 2 stroke! HA, then I overshoot every berm and turn and launch the front wheel to the sky when I jump. Took me the better part of the day to adjust. LOL!

• MichiganMXer

Posted September 04, 2004 - 05:34 AM

Ripntear, I've got an 01 426, i'm 200 lb and c/b rider. I had some cornering problems w/ my 426, it wanted to push. If your a relatively heavy rider 185 etc you may need to make adjustments. I started by lowering the compression on the forks, (the dial on the top of the fork). That helped the push but i then was only using the bottom half of the suspension stroke. Braking bumps killed me. I said screw it and spent $200 to have tech-care put in a heavier spring new valves and oil replacement. I cant explain the difference in handling, my speed has increased dramatically, its improved my confidence in cornering and rather than trying to stay in my line, it just tracks right through it and all i have to worry abount now is the tremendous HIT when i punch it out of the corners. I cant tell you how much difference this has made, it's a brand new bike. Last tip: dont use hair spray on the day you ride, you just might set your hair on fire. Have fun.

• Matt96xr6

Posted September 04, 2004 - 07:28 AM

I started by lowering the compression on the forks, (the dial on the top of the fork).

That is the rebound dampening on the KYB stock 01 forks. The compression is at the bottom of the forks.

• MichiganMXer

Posted September 05, 2004 - 04:10 AM

Oops my bad, thanks Matt for correcting me, the point wouldnt have been made if you had'nt corrected me; anyhoo i lowered the dampening to reduce the push. It just wasnt enough, i sacrificed too much stroke in the fork. I recommend heavier springs, money well spent.

• rws

Posted September 13, 2004 - 07:20 AM

this post has probably run it's course however I wanted to share one more little item. I recently adjusted my forks by raising them in the triple clamps [much like many of you already have done]... up about 10mm from the top of the clamp. I am amazed at how much more responsive the bike became. The front end is amazingly agile and it actually caught me off-guard at first. I'm so amazed that seemingly subtle differences result in dramatic results.

I am slowly "dialing" this machine in and I'm really enjoying it. :thumbsup:

• ripntear

Posted September 13, 2004 - 10:47 AM

rws,
Thanks for the info. I took mine out yesterday for the first time and did 5 1/2 hrs. of trail riding. A budddy of mine took his '98 KTM 300EXC. Riding my 426 was the biggest rush. I have only ridden 2 strokes before, and man was that bike a blast. I swapped for about 45 minutes with my friend, riding his 300 was like putting on your favorite pair of sweats....it just felt good. But when we swapped back, I was so proud of owning that 426, I knew I would never, never go back to a 2 stroke.
I didn't really ride it hard, it was more of a get to know the bike outing. I will make some suspension setting changes which will include raising the forks some. I will probably start out at 5mm then work my way up if necessary. High speed stability isn't as important to me as is the corner to corner handling.
I am still grinning from the ride yesterday and can't wait to go again.

ripntear :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.