Rear Shock/Suspension Problems

6 replies to this topic
  • flogger

Posted August 31, 2004 - 09:00 AM

Crashed my bike about 9 weeks ago and have been off it ever since. (I rode 40K after the crash with no bike probs) I am almost healed now and cranked the bike up yesterday. My problem is I have about 4 to 5 " of plush travel in the rear and then feels like it is bottomed. But looking at the rear tire I have plenty of travel left. Linkage frozen??? I could not check the linkage alone yesterday. Any suggestion?? And can I take the linkage apart without the shock extending??

• gonzo

Posted August 31, 2004 - 10:03 AM

Possibly tore one of the cheap needle bearings or somehow got some dirt in there. Yes you can pull the shock off without it extending just do it with a bike on the stand. Just a warning the bolts will be very tight and may take some time to break free. Clean and grease the linkage and see how that works. You should probably clean and grease it anyway.

• flogger

Posted August 31, 2004 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Gonzo,
I am hoping that it is just dirt oreven rust from sitting for so long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted September 01, 2004 - 06:47 AM

other than the linkage, I have seen the bladders internally in the shock break thus causing like a hydraulic lock on the shock.

• Yamaha600Racer

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:30 PM

I had that same problem a few weeks ago, ended up being a bent shock shaft and cracked the linkage....i hope thats not what happened to yours....Pete :thumbsup:

• flogger

Posted September 03, 2004 - 07:06 AM

Ouch!! I am hoping it is not that too. I decided to take it to the dealer and let him sort it out.

• Crash82

Posted September 08, 2004 - 03:49 PM

I have a shock from a 1999 426 I'll sell for $100.00 if you need it, It's well used, but doesn't leak and is in good shape.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.