Front Tire Size

2 replies to this topic
  • BRP27

Posted August 31, 2004 - 08:58 AM

What is the groups experience ( :thumbsup:) with putting a larger size front wheel on the BRP. I am trying to minimize the front wheel sliding out in lose stuff turns. When the front wheel starts sliding I hit the throttle and kick the rear wheel out which is fun and stops the slide (wash out) on the front wheel. But I didn't perform this trick a couple of weeks ago and suffered the consequences.
Does anyone think going to a bigger size tire will help? If so how big and what Brand and Model. I ride loose soil, hard packed soil, river sand and Slick gumbo mud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted August 31, 2004 - 09:19 AM

I have been running a Kenda Carlsbad 80/100-21 front tire. It seems to have a much larger footprint than any other front tire I've tried. I do not have another front around to measure, just looks and feels larger. I am not running it for it's size, just because it wears well and is cheap. :thumbsup:

I've found that front tires are very sensitive to correct air pressure where I ride. I add a little more air when I ride in rocks. Lower the pressure when riding loose areas to help with the traction.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 31, 2004 - 10:12 AM

Also, raising the fork tubes helps put more pressure on the front tire which helps in less sliding out. It also helps by shortening your turning radius. It makes wheelies a bit harder if your in to that kind of thing and makes the bike a little less stable at speed.

shorten the forks tubes = heavier front end less high speed stability.

lengthen the tubes = lighter front end and more high speed stability.

Nice thing about is these adjustments can be made with no modifications to your bike. In other words it's free and if you don't like it just change it back. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.