Aggressive tires

25 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 01, 2001 - 10:42 PM

Hey All, Can't wait till spring! Any advice on a more aggressive front and rear tire for an XR650L? I'd like them to be DOT and therefore street legal but I'm tired of bouncing down the trail after the front wheel tries to climb out of the ruts....

Thanks!

• Clark_Mason

Posted January 04, 2001 - 09:41 PM

Use a Michelin Enduro Competition III front and a Dunlop 606 rear. Both are DOT and excellent dirt tires. You can get them from Cycle Gear or Chapparral, etc. Call them and they will UPS the tires to your house.

Clark

• toofast41

Posted January 06, 2001 - 01:41 PM

The Pirelli MT-44 Front Dot App. laugnacross is great! Do it all tire. Works well everywhere. I use it up here in MN. Also when I went to Baja with Baja offroad adv. Some of there bikes also had this same tire to use down there. Rear tire for dot? I like the dunlop d752st for non dot use.

• ToddW

Posted January 12, 2001 - 09:02 AM

I just saw an ad for the new Dunlop dual-sport tire to replace the desert famed K139
It's a 606 to match the rear. I heard that they (Honda) ran the Baja 2000 with it. I'm not going to be the one that tries this thing first. The tread looks very mild, doesn't look like a good soft/desert tire. Of course it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. The D606 rear is the ONLY dual-sport tire to run, if you want to play in the dirt. I'm going to run one in the dez next, when I can get my hands on one (they are back ordered everywhere, order yours today).

Good Luck,
Todd

• jtkardel

Posted March 07, 2011 - 11:43 PM

For the front, no question, its Dunlop's GT 501. Its the stickiest DOT legal bias ply tire you can get. I like the Avon Venom X on the front, I don't think you can do better. The Avon AM23 is the best, stickiest street tire you can get. Its not DOT approved, but nobody ever checks. The worst the thing is its like $230 though. The other 2 are cheap, about $100 a point.

/update

I obviously misread your question. I like Dunlop 606s. I also like IRC BR99s a lot too.

Edited by jtkardel, March 07, 2011 - 11:56 PM.
Not paying attention

• scalejockey

Posted March 08, 2011 - 05:54 AM

Isn't the Maxxit IT rated DOT? (If not i don't care), i still prefer them for dual sport.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 08, 2011 - 07:02 AM

Anyone check the freshness date of this thread? The original poster isn't even a member anymore and none of the responders have logged in any more recently than 2007.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:10 AM

It's still one of the pressing questions of our time, especially now that pirelli stopped production of the XCMH.

Dave

• mitchn06

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:13 AM

Anyone check the freshness date of this thread? The original poster isn't even a member anymore and none of the responders have logged in any more recently than 2007.

i know i'm posting again but.....hahahahaha

• dubkatz

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:04 PM

yea how the |H.E. double hockey sticks does this thread get brought back to life.
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:51 PM

yea how the |H.E. double hockey sticks does this thread get brought back to life.

Someone say "oil"!
I double dog dare ya:smirk:

• ThumpNRed

Posted March 08, 2011 - 08:23 PM

pllllllllleaze.... no!

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 08, 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hey guys, what oil is the best? If I switch to synthetic now, will it make gaskets start leaking? Will it wreck my engine if I don't flush all the regular oil out first? It takes three quarts to hit the full line, is that okay?

• Kyron

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:49 AM

It was brought up from the dead by " jtkardel " who (more than likely)after reading a thread about "what tires are best" scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page where theres a list of other threads on the same topic, he clicked it and responded :busted:

I wonder what other threads are on the bottom list now....... **Edit Yep, there from 05 and 02!!

Is ATF ok to use in my 650L :smirk:

• jtkardel

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:00 AM

It was brought up from the dead by " jtkardel " who (more than likely)after reading a thread about "what tires are best" scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page where theres a list of other threads on the same topic, he clicked it and responded :smirk:

I wonder what other threads are on the bottom list now....... **Edit Yep, there from 05 and 02!!

Is ATF ok to use in my 650L :thumbsup:

Oh man, that's embarrassing. I actually was looking up wheel options for my XRR but oh well. I thought it was at the bottom of the most recent threads, but obviously it wasn't. Haha, apologies. That shows how much attention I was paying late that night.

• dubkatz

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:53 AM

Oh man, that's embarrassing. I actually was looking up wheel options for my XRR but oh well. I thought it was at the bottom of the most recent threads, but obviously it wasn't. Haha, apologies. That shows how much attention I was paying late that night.

I dont think theres anything to apologize about.
just kinda funny,:thumbsup:

• Kyron

Posted March 09, 2011 - 09:13 AM

:smirk:

I did it afew times ......... thats how I knew :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 09, 2011 - 09:18 AM

Over a decade old, that's quite impressive.

Dave

• dubkatz

Posted March 09, 2011 - 12:19 PM

I wounder what the oldest "active" thread

• tallguy33

Posted March 16, 2011 - 05:33 PM

try the MEFFO stone master rear dot app. Twissted throttle .com has them

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.