KDX vs WRF

24 replies to this topic
  • Optik

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:05 PM

I did just about exactaly what you're planning on doing. I used to have a 97 kdx 220 with a FMF pipe and silencer. I moved from that to a 2001 yz250f. The 250f is better in EVERY way. It has WAY more power, you just have to open that throttle up. If you try to lug your way through everything then the kdx will seem like it has more power. If you ride a yz250f with the throttle opened and the rpms high then it will absolutely kill a kdx. To ride my yz250f effectively in the woods, I've found that I just have to simply be in a lower gear than usual. In sections where I would be using 2nd and 3rd on the kdx, I'm using 1st and 2nd on the 250f and letting the bike rev.

The suspension on the Yamahas is also far better than the kdx's suspension. The wrf will have even better suspension for woods than my yzf does as well.

The egronomics on the Yamahas are more modern and more suited for trails where you can carry some speed. They are far more rigid and stable. They will corner in bermed and rutted corners better as well. The kdx will have the advantage snaking through really tight stuff. The Yamahas will have the advantage everywhere else, especially on an MX track.

If I were you, I would drop that kdx as fast as you can and pick up either a Yamaha wr250f or a Honda crf250x. Which one you get is an entire thread on it's own. Personally, I love Yamaha's but if I was buying new it would be a Honda.

I would also stay away from 450s for a while yet. I've ridden a few and they are too much for woods in my opinion. The power on them is great, really nice and smooth but it is hard to run them fast in the tight stuff because of the weight, high center of gravity and gyro effect of the huge engine. Until you can run a 250f wide open through the trails you ride on, you don't need a bigger bike IMO. Plus, look at the top GNCC riders and top riders in most of the other series, they almost all ride 250 2 stroke bikes. They have nearly the power of a 450 with the light weight of a 250 four stroke. They also snake through the trees better than a 250f or 450f too because of the small engine mass IMO.

Hope that helps.

• madbajan

Posted September 05, 2004 - 12:19 PM

KTM EXC 200 six speed box, blows the yams into the weeds weightwise and the KDX powerwise, for the sake of more power get the 250 or more power the 300 still lighter than a 250 yam and way............... faster! :thumbsup: Less moving parts, easier maintainance etc etc.........!!!! LIGHTER!!!! :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tool

Posted September 05, 2004 - 06:57 PM

KTM EXC 200 six speed box, blows the yams into the weeds weightwise and the KDX powerwise, for the sake of more power get the 250 or more power the 300 still lighter than a 250 yam and way............... faster! :thumbsup: Less moving parts, easier maintainance etc etc.........!!!! LIGHTER!!!! :lol:

yea, but then you would have to go -wing wiiing- instead of -braap braaaap-. :awww: and you would have that funny trail of blue smoke behind you. :devil:

• Apriliacati

Posted September 06, 2004 - 06:30 PM

Since I have both I can tell you the KDX has more bottom end while the WR has more top end. The suspension on the WR is Unbeliveable compared to the KDX, soaks up everything in its path. The WR feels like a modern bike while the KDX feels old school which it is. I ride mostly woods, if your looking to go on an MX track, I would get a bigger bike. Hope this helped.

2001 Aprilia Mille R
2002 Ducati 998 Bayliss
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000
2001 Yamaha WR250
2001 Kawasaki KDX220
1974 Suzuki TM400
2001 Yamaha TTR125l, daughters bike
2001 Yamaha Beartracker Quad

• tigerowner_ut

Posted September 07, 2004 - 01:17 PM

Apriliacati has hit it dead on. I plotted the dyno curves of a modified KDX vs. a FMF YZ250f. The KDX had more power from the bottom to the redline (about 8000 RPM as I recall) from there the YZ took off. Overall the KDX does have more power asnd has a very slight peak power advantage (modified). The Yamaha has a better chassis for the faster guys but the KDX is a very competant trail bike with a lower seat height for the vertically challenged.

So take your pick either engine or chassis. Now a KTM 200 is another story. The WR 250 has no advantage here for those who like 2 stroke power and midrange hit. The KTM is tons lighter than the others as well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.