Piston rind land widths

1 reply to this topic
  • trailriderjoe

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:45 PM

Piston ring land question:
Trying to help a friend out over on the XR600 forum (OK so I was slumin!!!)
Do all stock pistons accept the same rings as aftermarket pistons?
Put a little differently, What if you tear into a bike, see that it's got a .5mm over piston forged, domed & browed, obviously it's not stock(there were slump top low comp), can you just buy stock .50mm over rings or are you at the mercy of finding out who made the piston?

I thought I recall some makers using specific oil rings that required different/larger ring land widths.

Any advice is appreciated in advance

Thanks
Joe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mossman

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:56 PM

You should figure out who made the piston. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, if it is a cast piston, it is most likely OEM. If it is forged, changes are it is either JE or Wiseco. If you are tearing it down that far and you aren't sure on the history of the bike, I would just replace the piston. At least at that point, you know it will work.

Good Luck!
Joe

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.