Terribles Town 250

19 replies to this topic
  • 600ish

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:50 PM

I am interested in running the Terribles Town 250 next year just for the fun of it and run it solo. I'm not trying to be competeive, just to finish. I have plenty of east coast riding experience and have raced hare scrambles and consider myself an experienced rider in tight steep trails and FLA sand but no desert experience. Other than "Don't do it" I am looking for any advice, tips, etc to make this a good experience and not a nightmare. I am riding an XR600 with an IMS 4.0 gallon tank. What kind of tires are you desert guys using? fuel stops etc. Help! thanks.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 30, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Check your PMs

• mikekay

Posted August 30, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Why terribles town? Its an interesting race. Pahrump is cool. you might run into Art Bell in the supermarket...or madame whatever...anyway that one is all about high speed rocks after high speed rocks after high speed rocks...i've done it solo on a 650R...it was rocky...took me 6 hours...but i had 8.5 gallons of fuel on board and got a flat, broke the sub-frame, etc.....oh yeah there are some woops in between the rocks...some guys like rocks.

Heres some tips:
1) Its rocky.
2) Nearby Crystal Nevada always has a couple rooms available, plus there is some interesting toursit attractions there...
3) the trophy trucks wont catch ya.
4) its easy to chase
5) its a long drive out west to race a XR600 for 6 hours over lots of rocks...why not Baja 500 or Vegas to Reno or Nevada 1000 (best bang for your buck?), or whatever.
6) might be a good idea to fly out and join a team or have a race support/prepared bike waiting for you
7) somehow i think i know what that PM says! Tim is the man... :thumbsup: :devil:

• FlyByWire

Posted August 30, 2004 - 10:31 PM

...Good luck with it. :thumbsup: :devil:

• 600ish

Posted September 01, 2004 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for your tips and info. The reason I want to do the TT 250 as opposed to the BAJA 500 or Nevada 1000 is the distance. My ultimate goal is to run the BAJA 500 with one or two other riders, but I figure I better run a 250 before a 500 or 1000 mile event. Any opinions on the San Felipe 250? Thanks again.

• FlyByWire

Posted September 01, 2004 - 11:27 AM

The SF250 gets crazy at times.. The Trophy Trucks/Class 1 cars WILL catch the slower riders. 2 years ago there was a rider killed by the Riviera trophy truck (Riders fault..). And the SF250 course is usually BRUTAL for bikes...

• mikekay

Posted September 01, 2004 - 09:20 PM

San Felipe 250 is a horrible race on a bike.

The start is 40 miles of woops....its horrible. Theres even woops thru the town dump! Woops thru dead fish.

Then there endless woops underneath power lines....then its woops past WAY to many spectators (who fortunately are not yet drunk...)

Its a lame race and highly NOT recommended...unless you are going for SCORE points there is no reason to race it...and i have a beachhouse in San Felipe 2 miles from the course!

Someday they might change the course...then it could be a great race. Sadly SF has evolved into a No Fear, Ya Hooo Hell. 30 years ago it was awesome. Now it sucks. Good roads=bad people, bad roads=good people...

Cant Tim Morton find you a team mate for the 500?

Fly out for the Nevada 200 in a few weeks...!

• JackAttack

Posted September 01, 2004 - 09:29 PM

San Felipe 250 is a horrible race on a bike.

[sarcasm] The whoops are'nt that bad Mike [/sarcasm]

:thumbsup:

• qadsan

Posted September 01, 2004 - 09:34 PM

Good roads=bad people, bad roads=good people

there's some truth in them words :thumbsup:

• mikekay

Posted September 01, 2004 - 09:44 PM

i'm just the biggest woops wimp west of walla walla...!

What about the woops thru the dead fish? I think its unique?

ANy other woops thru dead stuff you can think off?

I had some woops past/over a rotting dead cow at BITD Baja 300 last year...yucky.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kritter

Posted September 01, 2004 - 10:01 PM

The SF250 gets crazy at times.. The Trophy Trucks/Class 1 cars WILL catch the slower riders. 2 years ago there was a rider killed by the Riviera trophy truck (Riders fault..). And the SF250 course is usually BRUTAL for bikes...

I dont know if I would call that "riders fault" unless by that you mean...he fell down, was knocked silly, got up while still silly to get his bike and got ran over...

• FlyByWire

Posted September 01, 2004 - 10:25 PM

I dont know if I would call that "riders fault" unless by that you mean...he fell down, was knocked silly, got up while still silly to get his bike and got ran over...

Thats pretty much it... I've never heard about the condition of the bike to get an understanding of how bad the initial crash was..

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:53 AM

600, out of all the BITD races the TT 250 is my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun little course but if you're a guy from the east coast wanting to get a taste on a little desert racing in the west there are better and easier courses to race. I think the most friendly course out of all of them is the Vegas 200. It has one main pit and one semi-remote pit, you're XR will do fine using the one main pit. Terribles town has a few pits that you need to consider. The Vegas 200 is 45 minutes away from Vegas too. The Terribles course is very rocky, I'm not talking about some boulders that you go around, I mean sharp, hidden rocks planted in a soft,sandy whoop sections, you'll pretty much ride that stuff all day long, it's fun but challenging. The fun part about the Vegas 200 is that it's easier to race and it's a little shorter and easier to pit. Either race, you'll love it out here.. If I decide to do the Vegas 200 this year and you go I can arrange pit support for you for free..

• Cosmo

Posted September 02, 2004 - 04:39 PM

San Felipe is BRUTAL for sure!!I had the oppurtunity to ride in a 1/2 1600 car this year.Took us 6 hours,I did get to see some different sights though.We got nerfed by a Trophy truck,one guy was waving a flag wearing nothing but what lokked like "tighty whiteys!Then there was the 6' tall bunny rabbit on the course.Got splashed by a beer(from a friend),I would rather race the Baja 500 hands down.

• mikekay

Posted September 02, 2004 - 07:02 PM

so there it is:
all 250 mile races suck!

• 600ish

Posted September 02, 2004 - 10:07 PM

Mike-Kay, the Dakar is incredible, I know all obout it and follow it religiously, but to run it is something else. Good luck and I'll be watching on SPEED. Just putting everything together for that race must be overwhelming. Since you seem to know you're way around the desert, what race should I run for my first desert race? I want to wait until at least spring of '05 before I take 2 weeks off to drive cross-country and race, I want to ride my bike but would not want to run a 500 miler solo for my first race. Is it tough to find a good rider to split the ride with. I wouldn't mind doing the baja 500 with another rider on my bike. Let me know what you think would be my best bet for mid '05. Thanks again.

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 03, 2004 - 07:54 AM

if you want a taste of desert racing why don't you come out and do a national hare & hound? there are rounds in utah, nevada, and california.

you can hook up with a club who will pit you and come look for you if you stack up, and then you can spend the remainder of your trip riding western off road scenarios with the locals you befriend.

race a national hare & hound. 80 mile race, great mix of terrain, plenty of willing clubs to help you out at your first experience with western off road racing.

don't blow your wad on a score race... why drive all that way to ride a course they could get a truck through?

• mikekay

Posted September 03, 2004 - 12:44 PM

600ish...
SPEEDVISION lost out to OLN for this Jan's Dakar coverage...
yeah for sure right now its like a full time job getting things in place.
My wife is tripping...ANOTHER $1200?

Anyway for sure theres tons of races out here in the early spring...this year one weekend had the Felipe 250, Laughlin US National Hare Scrambles, AND the Adelanto Grand Prix (10,000+ spectators...big purse for pro's)-- lots to pick and choose.

The 2006 schedules for several of the bigger desert racing series (AMA National, D-37 desert, Big Six Grand Prix, etc.) is usually published first in a December issue of Cycle News.

If i was you i would make my plans once that was out. Go for a weekend when you can do a couple races. Maybe a Grand Prix and a BITD race...in fact...yeah....thats what i would do if i was you...race Adelanto Grand Prix and Laughlin on the same weekend. That will give you a nice little cross section of the desert scene. Easy to self pit. Easy to find. Not to to expensive to race. Both are a bit slower, more technical than say Baja 500 or Vegas to Reno...but both would give you confidence and for sure lots of exposure to different stuff. Laughlin is not easy! Adelanto is...If your goal is to experience western desert racing--that would be a good way to get into it.
BUT if your goal is to finish the Baja 500 sometime in the future (a great goal!)--and 'experienceing' the scene isnt as important...than i would go with Tim Mortons Baja Bound and have him set you up for a bigger team race. He is good at hooking up dudes who want to do what you are proposing...either for Terrible, or Vegas to Reno, or Parker, or the 500...
Dont forget you have some buds that know much more than i do about desert racing that have responded to your post--for sure try to get to know them--super fast guys that dont shamelessly post their website on their signiture! :thumbsup:

• 600ish

Posted September 07, 2004 - 08:28 PM

MikeKay and ThunderChicken, I appreciate the input, I just got through running a 2hr. hare scramble Sunday where I ran over a snake laying on the trail and a couple of minutes later my rear tire blew out at about 40 MPH and I had to limp it back another 5-6 miles to finish the loop. I don't know what it is with snakes, I had one attack my front tire about a month ago while I was stopped in a muddy section for a minute while riding at durhamtown Plantation here in GA. Thanks again, I'll let you know what I put together for next year. Mike, good luck with prepping for the DAKAR. Walter

• mikekay

Posted September 08, 2004 - 03:16 PM

damn snakes!
I had a weird snake deal earlier this year with some Canadians--they ran over a rattler--and pulled over to check it out...we where all stopped- off the bikes- standing there gawking at the injured daddy rattler only to realize its girlfriend rattler was about 5 feet from us going up the rocks...freaked me out.

Best one was the spitting cobra that turned on me (i thought it was a python stretched accross the road it was so so so freakin big) and reared up and looked me square in the eye one day while cruising along the Nile near Lira, Uganda...gawd that was a big snake...still creeps me out to think about it...i was paralyzed with fear for 4 crucial seconds...then it just spared my eyesight for life and cruised into the bush...freaky. Africa is so damn freaky.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.