04 starter upgrade = WAY too easy!!

10 replies to this topic
  • live_to_ride

Posted August 30, 2004 - 02:02 PM

Well, I finally did the starter upgrade. You don't need the pin or the gasket for the sidecase. I don't know why those were on the list of parts needed. :thumbsup: Whatever.... I just pulled off the little cover that is next to the starter and held on by two bolts. I took the old cover, gear, washers, pin, and needle bearing and tossed them in the trash. I put the little bushing in the sidecase, put in the torque limiter gear with a washer on both sides (well oiled), and put the new little cover on. DONE! It took me 5 minutes tops. Maybe I missed something, and my bike will grenade on the next ride, but I pushed the button and everything seemed normal. Dave needs to update the instructions on his site!!!

Indy- you did it the hard way, buddy!! :devil:

• ddialogue

Posted August 30, 2004 - 02:36 PM

Dave needs to update the instructions on his site!!!

I'm lazy. What can I say? :awww: :devil:

You really should install the bushing. The outer diameter on the spindle (whatever you call it) on the torque limiter is smaller than the shaft used on the intermediary gear we're taking out. You have to keep in mind the torque limiter is going to spin all the time while the motor is running and I would think that eventually it's going to wear out the cover and/or the starter and flywheel gears because it's loose in there.

Am I way out in left field here? :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:04 PM

Dave needs to update the instructions on his site!!!

Ok...I updated it. :thumbsup:

• blireef

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:16 PM

quote:"You really should install the bushing." Quote: "I put the little bushing in the sidecase".............. I think he said he did install the bushing.Big Jim :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:30 PM

Someone's asleep at the wheel today and I think it's ME! :thumbsup: :lol:

Yeah, he did say he installed the bushing and somehow I skimmed right over it. :devil: :awww:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:46 PM

Indy- you did it the hard way, buddy!! :awww:

Pioneers always get arrows in the butt! :thumbsup:
I guess since I was one of the first to do it. I had to do it the hard way! :devil:

• ddialogue

Posted August 30, 2004 - 06:42 PM

Pioneers always get arrows in the butt! :thumbsup:
I guess since I was one of the first to do it. I had to do it the hard way! :devil:

I guess that explains your stand-up style of riding! :awww:

If I remember correctly (I may still be asleep...) I think you did the upgrade before it was discovered the bushing could be ordered separately from the cover. Thus, the long discussions of having homebrew bushings fabricated for us (YamahaRichey and Beezer come to mind.)

I'm trying really hard to redeem myself...not sure if it's working though. :lol: :D

• AkRider

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:34 PM

I am just glad you guys were pioneers and got the ball rolling on the upgrade. :devil: With out you guys the rest of us would still be worried on every ride. THANKS :thumbsup:

• live_to_ride

Posted September 01, 2004 - 06:11 PM

I guess that explains your stand-up style of riding! :devil:

:awww: That's awesome. Anyone who hasn't done this is fresh out of excuses now! You have a good deal on the parts and it only takes a few minutes. And yes, I did install the bushing. :thumbsup: That's why it took 5 minutes instead of 4. :lol:

• Ronnie Mac

Posted September 01, 2004 - 06:55 PM

I was just wondering,why upgrade? Is it because starter is slow and sometimes has to be kicked started. Or is it that you may only have about 1 min of cranking before batt goes belly-up. How does this help and how much$$ ? :thumbsup: Is it worth it?

• ddialogue

Posted September 02, 2004 - 04:34 AM

RonnieM...

The upgrade is to fix the problems with the woodruff key shearing on the 03 models. Yes, the upgrade is worth it..especially for those that have suffered a woodruff key failure.

Slow cranking and the battery going belly up after a minute is another issue entirely. I've never had to crank my bike that long to get it started and I'm still on the original battery...no battery tender needed. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.