87 xr600 piston question

1 reply to this topic
  • pressurefreak

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:14 AM

I have been working on my xr600, went to put valve stem seals in it as it smokes like a two stroke when I first start it up, and while I was that far I thought I would take a look see at the piston. The piston looks great and so does the bore. The bike was rebuilt and there is a .50mm larger piston, the ring clearance is more than what is called for so I want to order rings for this, however I dont know what type of piston it is. How can you tell if its a wiseco? The only markings on it say .50 and either a "I" Or a "H". the rod is a bit worn, its at the maximum for specs, so Im going to throw a new wrist pin in it and hope that helps. Any info would be great?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailriderjoe

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:23 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Wiseco (or some other brand) used a specific ring land width that requred you to use only their brand rings? So the real question is; Is yours a honda .50mm over piston or a Wiseco .50mm over piston? Does anybody know if Honda used a forged piston back then? or were they cast? In your PM you mentioned that it was a forged and eye browed piston (which tells me higher compression). Weren't the stockers dished or slump top pistons? Are there any logos in the back side "as cast" surfaces of the piston that might give you and idea of the manufacturer?

Just a YZer tryin to help out a fellow Thumper. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.