Stock Air filter

7 replies to this topic
  • SteadyEddy

Posted August 29, 2004 - 11:29 PM

Hey all,
Just wondering when I should change my stock air filter.
I clean it every 2nd to 3rd ride, or every ride if dusty.
Looks ok to me but don't want to take any chances.

:thumbsup:

• Hamish

Posted August 30, 2004 - 12:55 AM

IMO stock or aftermarket makes no difference.
It's all in how you maintain it and the condition of the foam. I have 2 filters and rotate them. Allows me to give them a good soaking in the cleaner and not miss out on any saddle time

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:26 AM

If you ride in very dusty conditions, I would use a filter skin over your filter, if you aren't already? I also rotate between two filters, keep my spare in a zip-lock bag, ready to go straight in. Also make sure my spare skin is clean and ready to go too :thumbsup:

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:05 AM

I got two spare twin-Air filters when I bought my bike... so I could have a sticker either side of the airbox... :lol: I change them when needed, wash and oil the other ones, and let them stay in a bag to keep them clean and ready oiled for installation. I use No-toil, so wash and oil is easy after doing the bike, airfilter is done before the bike has even finished drying...

Filterskins are a good idea too, if you encounter dust, or go on 200km + rides in dusty conditions and are not always at the front... :thumbsup:

BTW, an all Aussie thread so far... :devil: we must have caught them all asleep... :awww: :D

David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteadyEddy

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:47 AM

aussie, aussie, aussie......

yer thanks guys, Sounds like a plan having a second one ready to go, Ill save my self some time.
so other than an obvious tear in the filter their good for quiet some time as long as we look after them

• Hamish

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:52 AM

I also use Notoil. I don't think is as good an oil as Belray, but far more convinient as all you need to clean the filter is water, a bucket and the notoil cleaner.

• blireef

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:54 AM

If you use the filter skins, make sure you don't over oil them and they plug up much faster than the filter so be sure to pull them off when they get plugged. I've seen people have lots of "jetting" problems when the skin was the culprit not the jets. :thumbsup:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 31, 2004 - 01:34 AM

If you use the filter skins, make sure you don't over oil them and they plug up much faster than the filter so be sure to pull them off when they get plugged. I've seen people have lots of "jetting" problems when the skin was the culprit not the jets. :thumbsup:

Very good point about the skins. They DO clog up heaps faster, I always know mine is coated in dust when I hear a faint miss from the engine. If that happens, I just rip the skin off and run the clean filter underneath. Then, when I get home, swap the dirty filter and skin for freshly oiled ones. :devil: I have heard of people running multiple skins over their filter, but I have enough trouble getting one on :awww: :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.