2000 yz 426 motor knock

4 replies to this topic
  • yamon

Posted August 29, 2004 - 07:10 PM

2000 yz 426 has a motor knock. It sounds like its coming from the counter shaft balancer and water pump area. Any ideas.

• 426_Texan

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:27 AM

http://www.thumperta...t/1#Post1330354

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • banda

Posted August 30, 2004 - 06:55 AM

It's a bad key on the crankshaft. There are two gears on the right end of the crankshaft. The outer one drives the clutch assembly, and is secured to the shaft with splines. Right behind that gear is another one which drives the counter balancer. That second gear is held in place on the shaft with a key. The key is the same part from the older YZ400F, leading some people to believe that's it's not strong enough to handle the increased "thump" of the 426.

The key cracks, deforms, or wears down, causing the counter balancer drive gear to have some slop in the crankshaft. This slop sounds like a fairly loud "clack, clack, clack" at idle, when the rotational velocity of the crank shaft is "pulsing". The sound goes away when you get on the gas, but it won't be long before the key fails completely, or the nut securing both gears to the crankshaft loosens to the point that something horrible happens in the right side of the crank case.

The cheap fix is to replace the key with either the stock part, or a longer, thicker piece of key stock.

The expensive fix is to replace the crank shaft and counterbalancer drive gear with the parts from a 2001 426, which used splines to secure the gear instead of the key.

• Bryan47

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:48 AM

Do you know if a 02' crankshaft will work? I've found one that has a good price tag on it. I have a 2000 426 with the same problem...I think. I haven't torn it apart yet, but it sounds like the same problem I have. I'd rather replace/update the crankshaft while I have it apart if this 02' crankshaft will work. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:54 AM

You can replace the right side of the crank with an 01 or 02 unit, but I'm not sure how much worked is involed in doing it. Send a PM to Hick, he'll know.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.