TT decomp plug- ouch!

16 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 29, 2004 - 06:09 PM

Since I'm debating getting a YZ 450F in the spring, I've been digging around checking prices on the necessities. The decomp plugs are now $22.50- what gives??? Seems kinda steep for a little chunk of aluminum and a rubber seal... why the $10 jump in price?

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 29, 2004 - 07:40 PM

1. The price includes shipping
2. We are the distributor, so we sell them at full retail. If we didn't, we'd potentially be undercutting our dealers and this is a no no.

Regardless, think about any product you buy. Everyone has to make a few bucks, including the manufacturer (sets retail price), the distributor and the retailer.

The value of a product is not the cost of its materials, but what it does for the customer. Would you pay 20 bucks to avoid being stranded 30 miles from the staging area or DNF a race because the stock plug blew out?

This item fixes a real chink in the Yami's armor and solves this reliability issue in 2 minutes flat. That's why it's such a hot item and a good value.

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 29, 2004 - 09:00 PM

If you read the reviews, mine included, you will see that they are a worthwhile investment... try making one yourself for less, and see if it takes more than 30 minutes... then, you have crossed the threshold of your time being worth less - this is riding time we are talking about... bolt the plug in and forget that potential problem was ever on your bike...

But hey, you can always post back here with the topic...

"My bike lost oil, and seized. What should I do?"

I will list the part numbers for the crank, main bearings, conrod, conrod bearings, wrist pin, piston, rings, cylinder, head, valves, cams, etc etc... :devil: and never once say, I told you so... :thumbsup: :awww: :lol:

David

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:29 AM

Man I knew I forgot to order something the other day when I ordered up the armour plating for mine. Ahh well.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:56 AM

I'm glad I got mine at the introductory price!

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:57 AM

Bonzai you always get the deals! :thumbsup:

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 30, 2004 - 05:04 AM

Hey...

Did you go to copperhead yesterday?

• cowboyona426

Posted August 30, 2004 - 10:06 AM

Brian and David- I understand the value of the plug, I have one in my 426 and view it as a necessary evil. But... why the HUGE price jump? I know everyone needs to make a buck, but I think there is more to it than that in this case... 5 bucks will get me a seal from Yamaha, and I can get a plug for another 5 from another member. $25 or $10? Hmm...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted August 30, 2004 - 12:51 PM

Brian and David- I understand the value of the plug, I have one in my 426 and view it as a necessary evil. But... why the HUGE price jump? I know everyone needs to make a buck, but I think there is more to it than that in this case... 5 bucks will get me a seal from Yamaha, and I can get a plug for another 5 from another member. $25 or $10? Hmm...

I know the cost of a single item only too well... I used to have an eBay addiction, buying single tools from the US... why does a tyre cost that much, why do helmets, boots...? I understand what you are saying, but we do live in the free world... I am free to pack cotton wool on my head and hold it there with gaffer tape, or I could buy a proper helmet... sure, my head's worth more than $5, and I know it...

Tell you what, buy some other stuff from the TT store and see if they can't give you a deal... Just don't mention my name... they will charge you even more! :devil: ... and hey, the cam mod PDF is still free! :thumbsup:

David

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 30, 2004 - 01:58 PM

and hey, the cam mod PDF is still free!

By the look of things not for long. . . :thumbsup: :devil:

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 30, 2004 - 02:37 PM

and hey, the cam mod PDF is still free!

By the look of things not for long. . . :awww: :thumbsup:

Hey, I own the cam mod PDF, so I pledge it will always be free... jeez, I have seen it offered on ebay with 03 cams... :devil: without even asking me... :lol:

David

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 30, 2004 - 02:57 PM

The next thing we're going to hear is that regular unleaded on the west coast at $2.50 - $2.75 per gallon Citgo gas is better than the $1.63 Citgo Gas that I put in my vehicle on the east coast this morning........PLEASE!!!

More demand = you jack the hell out of the prices period.... If everyone would stop buying them, the price would plummet.....

It's Supply and demand Baby, that's the reality.... The plug I bought when they came out is no better or worse than the plug is available today.

I support and buy from TT, but I've just gotta call BS on the explanations given here.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 30, 2004 - 03:31 PM

TT offers some GREAT PRICES and SERVICE, but gotta agree with Bonzai! Boycott TT decomp plugs! Just kidding. . . wouldn't want to get banned. . . :thumbsup:

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:33 PM

Now...Now...Now....

I would never advocate a Boycott of anything on TT.... I have been here since the begining, when TT was nothing more than a WR400 forum. I am a dedicated supporter.

Everyone deserves to make a living, and every business should make a profit, but be honest about it. It will make your customers more apt to do return business with you.

Furthermore, I consider Bryan to be a long time friend, and my remarks should in no way be construed as an attack on him. He did not make the remarks I consider to be BS.

I will say though If TT is the distrubutor and there are dealers out there selling the product for less, Then the dealers of the product should be made public so the membership can make an informed and fair decision of who to do business with. I seem to remember a 110% low price gaurentee posted somewhere around here. If thats a valid statement then there should not be an issue of under cutting the dealers.

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 30, 2004 - 05:06 PM

TT offers some GREAT PRICES and SERVICE, but gotta agree with Bonzai! Boycott TT decomp plugs! Just kidding. . . wouldn't want to get banned. . . :D

I doubt you will get banned for speaking your mind... :lol: This is TT, not some other nazi-run board... :devil: :lol:

I know Brian is making an effort to make the TT store a place you will want to shop - based on service and price... they need constructive feedback to make it the best store for all of us...and we all know our industry is not exactly overflowing with customer service...

You know you can get redcap Mobil 1 cheaper at NAPA or Pep boys, but maybe you pay a couple of extra bucks to get it from your dealer... What does NAPA put back into our sport...? Saving a few bucks can often come back at you in the long run... like when the dealer doesn't stock the weight of fork oil you want... why, because no-one thinks to let him make a living...

I paid good money for my bike, and the dealer cuts me some slack on retail pricing... You get TT for a good price, I feel it is important to give something back... I am not saying you have to buy from TT, but in the great scheme of things, what goes around, comes around... :thumbsup:

As an example, a CamelBak HAWG is AU$240 RRP about US$180)... :awww: I got one from the TT store for a third of that price, shipped to Australia - within a week it was on my doorstep... the local camping store said he would order me one with his next monthly order... sorry, but he didn't seem to want my business, even at that huge extra expense... we get reamed with the mark up all the time for being a little country, so far away... and not many other dealers I contacted in the US even returned my e-mails, let alone showed any interest in shipping down-under. I enjoy my bike more because of the info from TT, and I enjoy my riding more because of the deals I CAN now get from the TT store. Sure, I am biased a bit, but that I hope is a positive example of other things that can make a huge difference to our overall experience...

Also, I think VibeGuy was doing a deal for his TT brothers originally at the low price. I am sure there are more overheads involved now, and perhaps VibeGuy wants to make a couple of bucks too, not just do the world a favour at his expense...

Do you buy your beer warm, and spend hours waiting for it to chill down, or pay a couple of extra bucks and get it ready to drink...?

I am not defending the store, or the pricing or anything else, I have no shares or vested interest in the place, but you have to look at the bigger picture... and the situation has changed, from the home made anodised plugs without a seal, to the CNC jobbies that come complete and look great.

We know you are a valuable member of TT, you have been here a while... I wish I had a spare to send to you... :D

David

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 30, 2004 - 06:07 PM

When the plug was first being sold, it was being manufacturered by a part-time enthusiast, largely for fun. Now the product needs to support a more serious effort by the manufacturer, TT as the distributor and small, but growing dealer network. Based upon the price the manufacturer needs to get for the product as well as margin for both the distributor and the dealer, the retail price was readjusted accordingly, by the manufacturer.

The price the product was originally set at most likely didn't take into account the potential growth of the product, so adjustments were necessary.

The member that has a plug that will sell it to you at 5 bucks? Buy it! I would. As for the $5.00 Yamaha plug, at any price, it doesn't work, so it's WAY overpriced as far as I'm concerned.

Make sense? I'm not sure what else I can tell you short of becoming a parts & accessories dealer/distributor and going through it yourself. Trust me when I tell you this is a job of passion, followed by a living. If it was about the money I would have stuck with mortgages... :thumbsup:

Bryan

• cowboyona426

Posted August 30, 2004 - 08:10 PM

I have a stock plug new in the package for a reason- the $5 seal I was referring to is the necessary rubber seal for the decomp plug. What you said makes sense, but that doesn't mean I have to like it dangit! :devil: Go ahead, call me cheap, I don't care :awww:
David- I have no problem supporting TT at all. This is a great site, and I'd hate to see it go down because Bryan and the rest of the team can't foot the bill anymore. The TT store is the first place I plan to go for my next mail order purchase, but in the case of the plug I felt like the price was too high :thumbsup: However, there will hopefully be a whole 450 that will be needing decked out come spring, so the TT store will probably be getting an order or two from me :lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.