Possibly a broken ring?

11 replies to this topic
  • B86_Racer

Posted August 29, 2004 - 04:58 PM

My brother rides an '01 YZ426 and was racing a hare scramble today and said that his bike popped and then the rear wheel locked up and it died. The motor will still turn over but I do not want to attempt to start it. When I do turn it over with the kickstarter, I can kind of hear a metal-to-metal noise so I'm thinking that a ring broke?? Any other thoughts? :thumbsup:

• YZDAD1

Posted August 29, 2004 - 05:44 PM

Pull the head off and look for a broken piston skirt, dropped valve or broken rod (pop! sound..)sorry for your loss.........

• B86_Racer

Posted August 29, 2004 - 05:53 PM

I guess me and my bro will have to take it apart sometime this week. :thumbsup:

• moto2000

Posted August 30, 2004 - 08:12 PM

Take a good look at the lower rod bearing. I had one go out on the same year bike, but mine just locked up solid. :thumbsup: Let us know what you find.

• B86_Racer

Posted August 31, 2004 - 07:35 AM

We're probably going to be taking everything apart this afternoon (at least the top end). Either myself or my brother will be sure to take pictures and post back. I really think it's a broken ring though...just a hunch. :thumbsup:

• B86_Racer

Posted August 31, 2004 - 04:51 PM

lower connecting rod bearing siezed... :thumbsup:

looks like time for a new crank and a new top end while were in there.

also, can you lap the valves on these heads? figured I might as well while it's apart

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mnovarossi

Posted August 31, 2004 - 06:43 PM

No, you cannot lap titanium valves, it will ruin them. You can cut the ti valves and there seats but it requires specialized equipment and from what I hear not many shops will do it.

• B86_Racer

Posted August 31, 2004 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the information. :devil:

I priced parts tonight and I think it's going to be about ~$500 for a new crank, top end (including timing chain, piston, rings, gaskets, wrist pin, etc.) and a few other odds and ends that he needed. Not bad..coulda been worse, for sure! :thumbsup:

Posted September 01, 2004 - 05:08 AM

That's about what I spent in parts to do mine last spring. You might as well change out the Crank end bearings while your in there.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• B86_Racer

Posted September 01, 2004 - 02:34 PM

Well, it looks as though the crank end bearings (#7 on the "Camshaft Piston" fiche) are on backorder. Do you think it would be just as good to go to a bearing shop and get a couple of them made?

• B86_Racer

Posted September 02, 2004 - 04:39 PM

So if no one says any different, I guess we are going to take the old crank end bearings out and get some new ones made at the local bearing shop... :thumbsup:

• motocrosschump

Posted September 02, 2004 - 07:13 PM

Big Negative Ghost Rider

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.