426 Cam Mod...Ever seen cam gears like these?

10 replies to this topic
  • TampaBoy813

Posted August 29, 2004 - 12:51 PM

In the 1st pic is when I 1st started...i'm quessing the bike has after market cams on both ends...I only knew of there being one HotCam in the bike...in the 2ed pic i'm not sure if the cams are linded up right after doing the mod...?
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Harry Paratestes

Posted August 29, 2004 - 01:15 PM

Looks like you should turn the exhaust cam forward 2 pins.There should be 14 cam chain pins between intake and the mark on the exhaust cam.

• chrome-crf

Posted August 29, 2004 - 07:59 PM

Yeah it looks like you have the exhaust cam retarded a few teeth. It needs to be advanced so the dot on the cam is ahead of the centerline. I still don't know whether the aftermarket intake will work with the 450 exhaust cam :thumbsup:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 30, 2004 - 12:23 AM

You need to look at the rear lobes of the cams to help yourself out. Look at the PDF file to get an idea of how they should look. They should both be facing the opposite direction and slightly above horizontal. What's up with all that cheap gasket stuff and red frame?

• Hamish

Posted August 30, 2004 - 01:07 AM

with an aftermarket cam (or maybe just a slotted sprocket installed) you can forget about dots, links and marks. Degree the camshafts in properly and make use of that slotted sprocket! All you need is a degree wheel, a dial indicator and a piston stop (make one out of an old spark plug)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TampaBoy813

Posted August 30, 2004 - 02:40 AM

You need to look at the rear lobes of the cams to help yourself out. Look at the PDF file to get an idea of how they should look. They should both be facing the opposite direction and slightly above horizontal. What's up with all that cheap gasket stuff and red frame?

all the red [@#$%&*!] is gone...thats from the owner b4 me...the red frame is a Quad frame....has not been re PCed from the install....after I get the bike all done I will take it back apart and have the frame PCed....so dose any one know who makes the cams and cam gears?

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:00 AM

HotCams, Falicon, or others may have made the cam wheels... without seing them in person to look for markings etc, hard to tell... what about the previous owner? Was he a machinist? :thumbsup:

David

• chrome-crf

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:56 AM

They look like the Hotcams adjustable sprockets. It's hard to tell where you have them without a pic of the other side of the cam assembly so we can see the lobe direction. Although with the adjustable cams, you really need to have the dial indicator and cam wheel to set it up properly.

• HotCams

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:59 AM

so dose any one know who makes the cams and cam gears?

Those are both Hot Cams in the first pic.

• HotCams

Posted September 02, 2004 - 07:27 AM

Another problem that I see in the pictures is that the long blue mark, is supposed to be a straight line. We put that mark there so that we can tell if the flange has slipped, and or, the cam timing has been changed. In your case it looks like the cam has slipped, and the timing has been changed. I would definitely put a degree wheel on that motor to see exactly where it is timed. The intake lobe centerline should be set at 106.

• TampaBoy813

Posted September 02, 2004 - 09:16 AM

Another problem that I see in the pictures is that the long blue mark, is supposed to be a straight line. We put that mark there so that we can tell if the flange has slipped, and or, the cam timing has been changed. In your case it looks like the cam has slipped, and the timing has been changed. I would definitely put a degree wheel on that motor to see exactly where it is timed. The intake lobe centerline should be set at 106.

i'm going to tri and trade out the hotcam for a stock Cam... :thinking:thanxs for the info...-Paul

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.