Creaking "headset" noise cured!!

4 replies to this topic
  • simch

Posted August 29, 2004 - 12:48 PM

My WR is about 3 months old and has 500 miles on it, most off road.

From new I have noticed an occasional creaking from the steering/bars,only at light loads, eg manoeveuring around the garage etc. I posted here abut it and was advised to grease the headset.
Well, came to do that today, and decided to do so I would strip the whole front end out. I undid the bottom fork clamp, then the top clamp in the clutch side, then......&%$#@!....the clamp bolts on the throttle side were loose!! Not just "not torqued", actually loose!!!

So tightened them up, and all the others and went out for a quick ride, no creaking noise now!
I am amazed that these bolts if loose from new have not vibrated out. If they weren't loose from new, how did they get so?? :thumbsup:

Anyway problem solved. I will be stripping the headset down soon anyway, as advised here, but its at least encouraging that the bearings etc should be OK when I do.

• 5valve

Posted August 29, 2004 - 10:15 PM

hi
they should be torqued to the specification (23Nm upper, 20Nm lower) and if they still tend to get loose, use loctite

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simch

Posted August 30, 2004 - 02:49 AM

Yeah, will keep my eye on them now. I just did them all "damn tight with a ring spanner" yesterday! Loctite is a good idea.

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:11 AM

Yeah, will keep my eye on them now. I just did them all "damn tight with a ring spanner" yesterday! Loctite is a good idea.

Be careful applying too much free-hand torque to the lower triple clamp bolts... they will compress the forktubes and your inner fork tubes will bind in their stroke...

Cheers,

David

BTW, did the headstem get greased anyway? :thumbsup: :devil:

• simch

Posted August 30, 2004 - 04:26 AM

Not yet, next week's job now!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.