XR 650L jetting.

4 replies to this topic
  • ROTROD

Posted August 29, 2004 - 08:37 AM

I was wondering if anyone has any recommended jetting for a 650l with a K&N filter,stock airbox without snorkel,FMF oval slip on pipe for approx. 1800feet above sea level?I looked through some previous stuff but maybe I missed it.Appreciate any feedback on this.Cheers!! :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 30, 2004 - 12:26 PM

55/158 will do it for those mods with the stock exhaust. With your altitude maybe the extra richening the pipe requires will be made up for by the altitude.
PS have the standard-mods been done? (shim needle, drill slide)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ROTROD

Posted September 02, 2004 - 09:19 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.I've read some of your posts,so thanks for your time.Hey,have you ever had a 650l with intermittent spark?Mine will run but then it seems like it has weak spark or else it is flooding.My carb has the plastic float so I can't change my float height,but I still have a 50 pilot with my screw at 2.5 turns out.Would that be to rich?(I'm waiting for a 55).Also,do you know the difference in sizes between Mikuni and Keihin main jets?Previous owner ran in a Mikuni main.The mik 147.5 is pretty close to the 150 keihin.I don't have a number drill set to check it,but I can check my pug.Anyhow,sorry to bug you and again,thanks for your help.Cheers! :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 03, 2004 - 08:35 AM

I haven't had to mess with spark problems. The plug cap on the BRP-L (as I call it) has a resistor, and has been known to fail. Try putting a good quality plug cap on it.
On some coils, the plug wire is held to the coil by a screw-on collar. If the L is like this (haven't noticed myself) it can be worth it to take it off and make sure there's good metal-to-metal contact to the wire.
I have no ide on the mikuni jet sizes.
Can you give a more detailed list of symptoms?

• ROTROD

Posted September 03, 2004 - 11:04 AM

I'm gonna try to check it out today or tomorrow,and I'll pay particular attention to what it does.The motor was recently tore down and honed the cylinder,put back the stock piston and rings(but scuffed the old rings with fine grit sand paper 4000)and replaced the cam chain,camshaft and re lapped the valves.It looked like it had overheated and the intake valves had hit the piston,possibly from the chain skipping a tooth.The valves were straight,the guides looked good,and it has new valve guide seals as well.When you rev it up,as the revs drop it pulls a bit of oil in under vacuum,but it happens quick enough that it may be oil past the rings under compression.It is hard to tell.I don't have a leak down tester,but I'll try to get one.Anyways,I'll contact you on this later.And buy the way,if you are wondering why I didn't bore out and get new piston/rings,the pin bore on the con rod was slightly burnished,so I thought I would run ér till it needs it real bad.(budgets...suck)Thanks.Cheers! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.