New 04 WR450- making sure it finishes- please help

7 replies to this topic
  • woodsedge

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:36 PM

I just got my new 04 WR450 and I need to set it up for a rally race in Ecuador. I have never owned a Yamaha at all so I don't know the tricks.

The rally is 6 days of racing, 2000 miles. Mostly dirt roads with some pavement thrown in. Also from sea level to 15,000 feet elevation. And high speed, very high speed.

So far, all I have done is put in 1 size larger main jet and raised the needle 1 ring, and pulled the baffle (I hate loud bikes, but I'll deal with that later). It has a bad stumble and runs rough in upper midrange. Recommendations for sea level? For 10,000 feet? For over 10,000 feet? I will disconnect the grey wire also.

I also need to make sure the bike finishes this race. What do I look out for? Bolts that especially need locktite or safety wire? Things that break? Anything?

I also need to change the gearing. I have already changed the front sprocket from 14 to 15 teeth, but think I need more top end. I would like it to top out around 100mph. Anybody know the gearing for 100?

Thanks in advance.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:40 PM

marcusmoberg! no just kiddin,someone had a gearing chart available not to long ago. search backwards and you should find it.

• firestarter

Posted August 28, 2004 - 03:26 PM

marcusmoberg! no just kiddin,someone had a gearing chart available not to long ago. search backwards and you should find it.

:thumbsup: :devil: :awww:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 28, 2004 - 03:31 PM

I also need to make sure the bike finishes this race. What do I look out for? Bolts that especially need locktite or safety wire? Things that break? Anything?

Bolts don't fall off like KTMs.. Don't worry.. :thumbsup:

I would put on a Devol skidplate and a good set of hand guards, a 15 counter and run the thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Radbuster

Posted August 28, 2004 - 05:10 PM

Keep an eye on the rear sprocket bolts, change oil n filter often, take apart and grease in steering, swingarm, linkage. Put on a good set of radiator braces and a skid plate. That's it, let's just say it: it will finish because it is well designed, well conceived and well put together. Yamaha has really got this part down. A KTM would also most probably make it, but the rest have got it backwards and are turning a lot of people back to 2-strokes, maintenance- wise.
Sorry for rambling. :thumbsup:

• Drtbykr

Posted August 29, 2004 - 05:32 PM

Tee the valve cover breather hose!! World's stupidest design! Check it out for yourself. Mine sucked crap and cost me a fortune.
The bike should do it's part. Get some seat time and try some different things, and stand up as much as you can, especially when it's greasy.

Good luck and have fun (take water)

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 29, 2004 - 06:30 PM

I would suggest getting a few hours on the bike, making a few oil changes... then, go over stuff like the spoke nipples, rear sprocket bolts etc... then replace the tubes with Metzler H/D units, and add some slime as well... high-speed blow-outs are a cow... do you have a steering dampener? Good investment for speed...

Get some filter skins for your air-filter... Apart from that, the bike are pretty reliable... shake it down first, then you know it is not straight from the dealer, with all the attention to detail they sometimes observe... NOT!

I would look at the JD jetting kit from the TT store, the choice of needles in it will allow you to get the right jetting at sea level, or 15,000 ft, at 60 F or 110 F...

Good luck, and we want pics/video of the trip... :thumbsup:

David

• WR450F_RDR

Posted August 29, 2004 - 08:52 PM

second JD kit and recomment after market exhaust to all you want out of it for speed, steering dampner, get rid of stock Dunlop tires unless your running in only hard pack conditions, the only bolts I have ever had come loose are the radiator shroud bolts.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.