How do street leagal a WR450?

14 replies to this topic
  • stainlessTT

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:07 PM

I have a YZ450F that I'm think trading in for a WR450 so I can street leagalize it.
Whats is all involed in doing this, and how much would the street equipment thats needed cost?
And has any would riden both of these bikes? If so what is the power diff, and does the WR450 have only 4 gears?
I thought the YZ was REALLY SCARY fast for the 1st month, but I have gotten comfortable on it now.
Also how high and far have any of you guys jumped your WR450? with out crashing of course :awww:
Thanks for the help :thumbsup: :devil: :lol:

• vantolr

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:13 PM

http://www.thumperta...rex_dakar.shtml

http://www.thumperta...j_01wr426.shtml

• ddialogue

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:21 PM

Just over 70 feet with the stock suspension.

WR450 jump

I'm sure there are plenty of WR owners on TT who make me look silly... :thumbsup:

• AxemanLv

Posted August 31, 2004 - 05:55 AM

I went with the Baja Designs kit, but you have to send them your stator for a modification, seems you wont get a constant charge on the battery, because of the electric starter. Kit comes with everything for about $450. go to www.bajadesigns.com (I have also put a kit on a 99 WR400)
BTW...WR450's have 5 gears.
Hope this helps!

Cheers
Matt :thumbsup:

• r_dawg1021

Posted August 31, 2004 - 09:46 AM

I went with the Baja Designs kit, but you have to send them your stator for a modification, seems you wont get a constant charge on the battery, because of the electric starter. Kit comes with everything for about $450. go to www.bajadesigns.com (I have also put a kit on a 99 WR400)
BTW...WR450's have 5 gears.
Hope this helps!

Cheers
Matt :thumbsup:

Exactly what I did. After DOT knobbies and all that I think I've spent around $600 total, including registration. Depending on what state your in it could be a lot more costly. I didnt see where you lived? You might want to check laws and what not before taking the plunge :devil:

• HotCams

Posted September 01, 2004 - 11:53 AM

The WR has a throttle stop on it.
Now im by no means a mechanic so take the following very lightly.
Not sure if the two bikes have the same carb or not but the stop doesnt allow you to open it up all the way. Now i could be wrong about this cuz i dont work on bikes very much but it was something that i noticed and it bothered me a little bit about the bike

Tonys son,
Ian

• JerseyDirt

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:23 AM

The WR has a throttle stop on it.
Now im by no means a mechanic so take the following very lightly.
Not sure if the two bikes have the same carb or not but the stop doesnt allow you to open it up all the way. Now i could be wrong about this cuz i dont work on bikes very much but it was something that i noticed and it bothered me a little bit about the bike

Tonys son,
Ian

The throttle stop can be easily cut or replaced with the YZF throttle stop. This will allow the carb slide to open all the way and get you all the power. Just do a asearch on "WR FREE MODS".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 02, 2004 - 07:04 AM

In California you need to have a good VIN number before anything will happen, regardless of a dualsport kit the US VIN number will send a red flag at the DMV claiming it can never become street legal, they're (DMV) cracking down on this and becoming wise to the situation.

• bigcity44

Posted September 04, 2004 - 03:48 AM

cut grey wire? WR450 rides Oscoda MI . pro curcuit pipe caused flat spot bottom end. throttle stop cut + unpluged carb . any idea

• chipwich

Posted September 04, 2004 - 09:33 PM

what about all of those custom hogs out there? couldn't a wr be a "custom"?

• r_dawg1021

Posted September 05, 2004 - 07:46 AM

what about all of those custom hogs out there? couldn't a wr be a "custom"?

What are you talkinga bout? I don't get your point...

• mtrablue

Posted September 05, 2004 - 08:21 AM

find out what your state requirements are before you spend a dime. here in missouri most of us get a plate without doing a thing. it's a new vehicle and if registered on time they treat it just like a new car. they tried to give me one for my daughter's ttr125. even if someone read the "not for highway use" part, we still only need an electric horn and tires that do not say "not for highway use" to pass an inspection. they don't specify DOT! got a razor blade?

i know that doesn't help you but i wanted to show you how easy some states can be. ask some woods riders. they should know the bare minimum.

just a word of warning. go ahead and wire up a brake switch. even if you aren't required. it'll keep moms in minivans talking on cell phones from running you over. the tail light already has the two filiment bulb.

• beezer

Posted September 05, 2004 - 08:24 AM

There is a pressure switch available that fits perfectly.

I'll try a get a mfger and part#.

• AxemanLv

Posted September 05, 2004 - 08:49 AM

Seems a lot of Cali guys are coming to Nevada to register their new dual-sports(per my friends at the local Yamaha shop). As I remember my title cost me $40 from the DMV here, and I registered it at the same time. But beware Nevada DMV fee's are expensive. For my 99 WR400 it was about $340.00 to get street legal. Other then the cost, it was fast and no hassles, title, plate, all in the same day...

:thumbsup:

Cheers
Matty

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 05, 2004 - 11:28 AM

There is a pressure switch available that fits perfectly.

I'll try a get a mfger and part#.

I used one from K&S and the thread pitch is 10X1.25.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.