Tire pressure question

8 replies to this topic
  • Quik426

Posted August 28, 2004 - 12:22 PM

I'm curious of what kind of tire pressures that everyone runs in various conditions?? This weekends racing will be pretty muddy....what kind of pressures should I run in the front and rear?? I run Maxxis IT's on the rear and....either a 756 or the stock 739 on the front.

any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance
Quik :thumbsup:

• RichBaker

Posted August 28, 2004 - 12:29 PM

12psi frt/rr......

• Quik426

Posted August 28, 2004 - 12:59 PM

Does that mean....when it's slick and muddy, you should lower your pressures?? I usually run about 16psi in the tires when it's tacky but dries out as the day goes on.

Is there a general rule or just a "seat of your pants" feel??

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 28, 2004 - 01:19 PM

It really depends on a few variables, terrain, weather, how hot and such

One thing I learned is to keep an eye on the rim and where the tire meets the rim. when your tire pressure is perfect you will see a very thin shinny ring all the way around the rim just as it meets the tire.

Here is a link to some good info
Tire Pressure

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Quik426

Posted August 28, 2004 - 01:56 PM

Thanks John,
I read through all the info.....very helpful info that covers a gammut of scenario's..

thanks for the input!!

• MxHuggy

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:20 PM

If it's muddy you're not gonna like that 739 up front :thumbsup:

Just my .02

• vantolr

Posted August 28, 2004 - 03:09 PM

It really depends on a few variables, terrain, weather, how hot and such

One thing I learned is to keep an eye on the rim and where the tire meets the rim. when your tire pressure is perfect you will see a very thin shinny ring all the way around the rim just as it meets the tire.

Here is a link to some good info
Tire Pressure

yes, thank you for the article...i've been a little neglectful in the tire deparment....thanks!

http://www.motocross...tips.asp?id=419

• Quik426

Posted August 28, 2004 - 03:27 PM

I don't know how much I'll like the 739 for this weekend but if you look at the latest AMA magazine, Ricky is running 739 through the rut..... I know the track that I will be going to will have a few areas of mud holes but the rest of the track is mixed with a few corners that rut pretty bad. Just trying to figure out why the pros run certain tires..... and the pressures that they may be running. I do admit that when I have a "fresh" 756....It's awesome!!! but on some of the hard pack that I encounter, I don't really like the 756.
I try an be concious of the temp changes for the forks and tires....but I'm certain that I'm missing a few set-ups along the way.....

thanks for your input.......I'm gonna give the Maxxis IT front a try here in the very near future.....Probably at Red Bud!!

• beezer

Posted August 28, 2004 - 05:17 PM

I rode today in nasty mud. My 739 front tire made me feel like I was on ice. The back tire wasn't as bad. 756's wear out very quickly.

When I ride in rocks I run 15 psi, most any where else 13.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.