new to the crew

5 replies to this topic
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted August 28, 2004 - 12:14 PM

So I plucked the deposit down today for an 05 450f.

I am putting a 756 on the rear and a 773 on the front. But I'm wondering if you guys get bigger rear sprockets for them like most everyone does for the 250's.

I may need to renick to Bipolar_Rider or something. :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted August 28, 2004 - 01:36 PM

you need to save your pennies for a different chain....I can't tell you how many have learned the hard way

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted August 28, 2004 - 01:42 PM

Sure I can believe that. The 250f would stretch it's chain in short order. I'm just wondering if anyone goes for a higher tooth sprocket or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MxHuggy

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:27 PM

I went up to a 50 tooth. I wanted to be more in the powerband in 2nd on the track that we ride. It if pretty tight and I was rarely seeing the high end of 2nd and never 3rd. It did the job, however a year later I find myself going faster and pulling 3rd all of the time on the same track.

My suggestion is to ride it stock for a while and then see where you want to be gearing wise then.

Enjoy the new ride! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2004 - 09:40 PM

As Huggy points out, it will depend on where you ride it. In his case, gearing it down made it match up with his favorite track better. On mine, I went 2 teeth smaller in the rear, making it higher geared. It has the effect of making the spread between gears a little wider, and makes low gear a bit more useful. A lot of YZ450 riders around here raise rather than lower the gearing on the big bike.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted August 29, 2004 - 04:37 AM

Thanks guys. Based on my 250F I figure I have about a week on the stock chain with the 450 before I have to do something. So I should be able to see how it does in that amount of time.

74 Triumph Trident

Now thats a bike! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.