In search of 4-stroke knowledge yz426 question (compression) thanks

7 replies to this topic
  • revalation22_5

Posted August 27, 2004 - 09:09 PM

Me and a friend just rebuilt his 00 yzf426. This is the third 4 stroke bike I have rebuilt (my 2 250f also)
The problem we ran into was after we had it all together. It seemed as if it did not have good compression. you could turn the motor over by hand with force. We checked the decompression release for proper adjust ment and it was fine. The motor had compression but it did not seem right that you could turn it over by hand with out useing the decompression release. We ended up starting the motor and it seemed to sound good and run good (on the stand) It idled for about 30 secs and then we shut it off. When I tried to kick it over again it seemed to have it lost compression back.

So my main question is after a rebuild is it normal for the bike to not have high compression untill it has ran a few seconds.. My 250fs i rebuilt did not seem that way.

thanks
tim

• Smegol

Posted August 27, 2004 - 09:46 PM

Im not sure if this would cause a large loss of compression like you are describing, but if I leave my bike sitting for a while (i.e. 4 weeks) the oil runs of the cylinder and I can kick it over fairly easy without using the decompression release. Kick it over a few times to get the oil circulating again and its as good as new.

• Butta

Posted August 27, 2004 - 10:59 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is the cam chain and camshafts. The alignment is critical, and if it's even one tooth off it will greatly effect the operation. Do a quick visual inspection with the cap off and see how they line up. When I swapped motors in my bike the "new" motor was off, and it had less compression and wouldn't produce power. After swapping cams (the gear slipped on the shaft) and lining them up correctly, the thing rips! 5th gear wheelies in the Florida sand. :thumbsup:

• Hamish

Posted August 28, 2004 - 01:31 AM

same thing happened to me when I rebuilt the gearbox on my 426. I put the engine back together and it had good compression. Started it, it ran for 1 min then stopped. I could then kick it through like you described. I started it up again with a lean mix of 2 stoke fuel in the carby, ran it for a rew minutes then changed back to normal fuel again. All returned to normal. This has happened to me twice. Both times was directly after I had the head off. Both times I didnt diassasemble the head, and therefore didnt clean the carbon off the chamber and valves. My theory is that a piece of carbon became dislodged and got stuck under a valve, holding it partially open. The idea of the 2 stroke fuel was to lube the valve guides and stems in case the problem was caused by a sticky valve. These days I run Motorex Valveguard in every tank of fuel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:25 AM

My theory is that a piece of carbon became dislodged and got stuck under a valve, holding it partially open.

I have had that happen before too. It's most likely what happened to yours. :thumbsup:

• banda

Posted August 28, 2004 - 08:13 AM

Once, while replacing a head gasket, I used tape over the lifters to keep the lifters and shims from falling out of the head. There was still enough space for the lifters to move around, and one of the valve shims came out of its seat. When I put it all back together that valve was extremely tight, causing the motor to not have compression.

Are you sure all your valve shims are seated? Did you measure your clearances? Any valves overly tight?

• Fastest1

Posted August 28, 2004 - 12:58 PM

Until there is a even coat of oil of the cylinder compression will be down, that is why it came back after starting and running it. New rings? Probably havent had time to seat either. Ride it! :thumbsup:

• revalation22_5

Posted August 30, 2004 - 07:37 PM

Well, we broke it in at my house and it ran fine. so we changed the oil and headed to the track, Rode for about an hour with no promblem came back and drained the oil. It looked clean and the bike done great.

thanks for the help
tim

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.