Chain Lubricant

47 replies to this topic
  • Jackazz

Posted March 26, 2005 - 02:16 PM

I used to be a dedicated chain wax guy. Might be because of my road oriented past. I have for the last few months been using synco/permatex super lube with teflon spray to lube my chain with great results. It penetrates well, & keeps the o-rings nice & pliable, & it doesn't collect sand & crud to make "grinding paste" like the chain wax that I had used before. I usually go to the car wash & power wash the bike after rides, & blast the hell out of the chain. when I get home, I'll put it on the stand & use a plastic bristle brush to scrub all 4 sides of the chain, & then lube it (along with all the other pivot parts, pegs, shifter, levers, etc.) with the super lube. Works great. :)

• TallBoysWRF

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:52 PM

I used to be a dedicated chain wax guy. Might be because of my road oriented past. I have for the last few months been using synco/permatex super lube with teflon spray to lube my chain with great results. It penetrates well, & keeps the o-rings nice & pliable, & it doesn't collect sand & crud to make "grinding paste" like the chain wax that I had used before. I usually go to the car wash & power wash the bike after rides, & blast the hell out of the chain. when I get home, I'll put it on the stand & use a plastic bristle brush to scrub all 4 sides of the chain, & then lube it (along with all the other pivot parts, pegs, shifter, levers, etc.) with the super lube. Works great. :)

You really shouldn't use a powerwasher on your chain. :) You can/will force water in behind the o-rings, and the o-rings will trap the water in there indefinately.

• Eliems

Posted March 28, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Pardon my ignorance but the stock chain DID520VM/DAIDO seems to be an " X-ring ". Is this true and just what is the difference between an X-ring and O-ring?

I have been applying heavy gear oil (90 weight),with a little grease, do I need to clean this stuff off and go with chain-lube or chain-saw oil?

• Jackazz

Posted March 28, 2005 - 03:04 PM

You really shouldn't use a powerwasher on your chain. :naughty: You can/will force water in behind the o-rings, and the o-rings will trap the water in there indefinately.

Yeah, I actually quit doing that awhile ago, I did a cut & paste on that response from one I gave in a similar thread a while ago. The parts of my chain that see the worst "blasting" when washing are at the CS sprocket & at the chain guide, as those are typically the two areas that mud/crud builds up the worst.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NewBlue

Posted March 28, 2005 - 07:09 PM

My two cents worth! WD-40 is fine for non o-ring or x-ring chains. Wd-40 and o-rings don't mix well with time. I have had reasonably good results with Motorex's enduro chain lube. It's in a redish colored can. It is clear and it has about the right mix of adhesion and removability. Give it a try and I believe that you will like it.

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:14 PM

There is no differnce in the materials of an X ring and an O ring. Only difference is the profile. (shape)

• gregwr450f

Posted March 30, 2005 - 06:49 AM

I use silicon spray it's not a dirt or mud collector and hoses clean with ease.

• bluethundaaaa

Posted March 30, 2005 - 08:02 AM

I use powerslide chain lube. Comes in a blue bottle. I am still on the original chain/sprockets and I have about 1700 miles on them with no sign of wear. All I do is wash my bike with a garden hose after every ride then run it up and down the street and into the garage..up on the stand and spray the chain. I don't ever scrub the chain or attempt to clean it. It just stays clean. I tried the Belray crap and I hated it because it just made a sticky grit paste crap. I didn't even use the whole can. My .02 cents.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.