Chain Lubricant

47 replies to this topic
  • DirtyDude

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:30 AM

I guess the trick is to start using the wax (and only the wax) with a new chain. Using only the wax, when it's time to relube, the chain is clean. There is not a bunch of gunk stuck to it. The rollers are loose, not gunked up. I'm pretty anal, and IMO the rollers don't need to be cleaned before lubing again. I used to use other non-wax lubes, and I was ALWAYS using brushes, cleaners, etc before lubing. It was a mess and my chain always had buildup. Heck, I just came back from 3 straight days in CO and we would just wax our rollers each morning without even wiping with a rag. Chain was happy all day and we all came home with clean chains. Works for me.

• beezer

Posted September 02, 2004 - 07:12 AM

Chain rollers don't need lubing.

• Eric_F

Posted September 02, 2004 - 01:27 PM

Ok, here's how I do it now. I bought a can of PJ1 high pressure cleaner - 5 bucks. And a can of PJ1 Blue label lube - 8 bucks. I rode my bike around for ~10 mins to heat up the chain. I then take the PJ1 cleaner and spray it onto the chain, holding a rag underneath. This stuff blasts off everything, and I mean everything. In 2 minutes my chain was sparkly clean. I then cleaned the sprockets, slides, and the chain guard. It took about 20 mins total to get it clean.

After the cleaning, I make sure the chain is sparkly, and it was, just like the day I got the bike. I then take the PJ1 lube with a rag on the underside (outside) of the chain, I apply 2 coats to each of the spaces where I can see the orings. I then wipe off the excess and wait for about 10-15 mins. The lube turns all gooey and feels as if you were to dump hot wax on yourself, if you smear it around, all tacky. spin the wheel over a few times. It's harder at first, Then after like 3 revolutions, it smoothes up to an awesome glide! As far as I can tell, this stuff does NOT attract dirt. It's really awesome. I've gone ~50 miles since I lubed my chain last, riding in semi-dusty conditions, and the chain still looks clean except for the outside of the plates. It also spins as nicely and noiseless as the day I put the lube on. I think that if done properly, there are many other lubes out there that will have the same effect, you just have to start with a clean chain :devil:

P.S. I've also heard of people removing the chain and soaking it in kerosene. Didn't seem safe to me, and kerosene's hard to find. :thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted September 03, 2004 - 03:45 AM

Kerosene is hard to find? Ever heard of Walmart? Their lamp oil is kersone.... works good and doesn't hurt the o-rings either.

• westrider03

Posted September 04, 2004 - 08:09 PM

Here's what you do. Get a quart of water. Drink it and piss on your chain. Good Luck.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted September 04, 2004 - 08:58 PM

How about beer ?

• ncmountainman

Posted September 05, 2004 - 07:10 AM

budweiser works better!!! :devil: :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted September 05, 2004 - 08:22 AM

Thats enough from you two!

Wasting beer is a criminal offense around my garage.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 05, 2004 - 08:33 AM

what you do with it after it goes south is up to the individual,what do they do with it in joisey? :thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted September 05, 2004 - 10:00 AM

The best I have used recently is this. http://www.mx1000.com/

I hate the oil threads that sound like spam. Honest, this is not.

I bought it just like everyone else. No discounts or anything. I bought it becasue a friend told me it was good.

It does not attract dust and dirt. It is easy to apply. I love it on cables as well.

The best is that is in a small dripper bottle. There is actually lube in the bottle instead of compressed gas. I completly recommend it.

I would avoid Bel Ray at all costs. It turned my chain into the filthest thing I have ever worked with. As far as what is sold at bike shops, I like the Silkolene spray. It does not attract sand and dirt like soem of the others.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eric_F

Posted September 05, 2004 - 02:36 PM

That stuff looks really nice. As soon as I'm done writing this post, I'll pick up a 3oz bottle :thumbsup:

• mikejk

Posted September 08, 2004 - 06:51 AM

I'll ad my vote for Silkolene spray chain lube. I tried Bel Ray, and I think it was some PJ-11 and both of them were a pain to get on the chain(like trying to spray whipcream on your chain) and they both attracted every bit of dirt possible and kept it stuck on the chain. The silkolene goes on very easy, and also coats the chain better, plus after a ride the chain is alot cleaner than with the others. Also it works great as cable lube.

• blireef

Posted September 08, 2004 - 03:33 PM

You guys are killing me here on this subject!! :thumbsup: :devil: :awww: :lol:

• DirtyDude

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:28 AM

Chain rollers don't need lubing.

An interesting thought, but :
1) Why were the rollers designed to rotate independently of the bushing? If lubing is not needed, it seems the cheaper, simpler design would have been to just make the bushing a larger diameter.
2) Rust between the roller and bushing leading to a frozen roller. I think such rollers would tend to accelerate sprocket wear. :thumbsup:

• DirtyDude

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:42 AM

The best I have used recently is this. http://www.mx1000.com/

I hate the oil threads that sound like spam. Honest, this is not.

I bought it just like everyone else. No discounts or anything. I bought it becasue a friend told me it was good.

It does not attract dust and dirt. It is easy to apply. I love it on cables as well.

The best is that is in a small dripper bottle. There is actually lube in the bottle instead of compressed gas. I completly recommend it.

I would avoid Bel Ray at all costs. It turned my chain into the filthest thing I have ever worked with. As far as what is sold at bike shops, I like the Silkolene spray. It does not attract sand and dirt like soem of the others.

I checked out their site and read their application instructions. They say "trail riders" need to apply every 2 hours or so, more often if wet/muddy. I agree the stuff sounds good, but I can't bring myself to carrying lube and applying it 3-4 times over the course of a day while on the trails. I'm really trying to be objective here.. :thumbsup:

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 26, 2005 - 04:42 AM

I checked out their site and read their application instructions. They say "trail riders" need to apply every 2 hours or so, more often if wet/muddy. I agree the stuff sounds good, but I can't bring myself to carrying lube and applying it 3-4 times over the course of a day while on the trails. I'm really trying to be objective here.. :)

Ah, yes....carring lube could be a big hassle. BUT, Please let me know how you carry 6-8 hours of fuel around with you during the day? Surely throwing on a little chain lube when you refuel couldn't be too big of deal.

Let's really be objective here. :)

• RCannon

Posted March 26, 2005 - 05:55 AM

Notice on the X 1000 site he also sells a small bottle of the stuff for abotu 5.00. This bottle is about the size of a cigarette lighter. I can not imagine riding for hours straight and not carrying somethign like that with me. It woudl be nice to have on the ride.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 26, 2005 - 08:37 AM

I've been using Chainwax forever with great results. Because there have been many chain lube topics these days I decided to try something different. I purchased the Silkolene Pro chain (the clear stufff), while it might be lubing the chain it picks up every spec of dust,dirt and debris leaving my chain filthy dirty. I'll never win a debate with a chemist about chain lubes but my expierence is that Chainwax has been a great product.

Dan :)

• doubledee

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:24 AM

WD-40 is good for a dirtbike chain. It works well and it's cheap. Use it often, and use it liberally. It's almost like a constant washing. A good synthetic chain lube for streetbike chains that don't see the debris your dirtbike is subjected to works best. You are working to resist other factors on a highspeed = higher temps generated sportbike chain.

Make sure you are spraying the chain from the inside out (that's the side the sprockets contact) this way the lube is spun thru the chain and flung outward.

The idea is that the WD-40 and the dirt will not hold on to the chain as much or as long and the dirt will not cling on and remain on the chain getting ground into the links and rollers. (Now this will happen anyway to some extent) but a wax or whatever lube you use will promote this. I would recommend everyone try both types of lube for at least 2 or 3 rides and clean your chain a few times in between. Look at what the chains look like after a day of riding after you have used multiple types of lube. Take notes if you need to. Then determine what is happening on the chain.

3 things wreck chains. It's not so much what exact lube your using but are you allowing periods of the chain being dry or unlubed. I think the most common chain killer is it being too tight. The last is time. Remember your chain is a consumable item. You will need to replace it. Often if you ride a lot, less if you ride less etc.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 26, 2005 - 11:10 AM

i'm with you DD , i switched to wd-40 about a month ago and not only is the chain going longer without adjustment,everything is clean!!! you can actually see the gold bling on it :) i use it after every wash right away to displace the water and if i'm a long dry ride i'll spray it during fuel up also,stuff is so cheap might as well :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.