Chain Lubricant

47 replies to this topic
  • Eric_F

Posted August 27, 2004 - 08:43 PM

What seems to be the best out there for the money? My brother applied some stuff called "chain guard" to my bike chain and it seemed to work very well. The only downside is that it costs 8 bucks a can. :thumbsup: I know the service manual recommends SAE30, but where I ride it seems to attract more dirt and dust that what I'd like to have on my chain. :devil:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:32 AM

Maxima Gold chain wax, and Motul MX chain lube/wax are both good. I would probably go with the Maxima, although after a while, you can get a thick buildup of gunk on the sprockets, which needs to be removed. Clean the gunk from off of the sprocket teeth every few rides, you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted August 28, 2004 - 04:59 AM

If it is an o-ring just use a WD-40 type of lube. Chain won't help an O-ring.

• blireef

Posted August 28, 2004 - 08:06 AM

Roger on the WD40!! The chain lube never sees the inside of the chain where it might be needed, it just sits on the outside and holds dirt and sand on the chain and sprocket so they act like valve gringing compounds and wear out your chain and sprockets much faster than they'd wear clean.. My 2 cents.. Jim :thumbsup: :devil:

• FTD

Posted August 28, 2004 - 09:01 AM

I just started using Yamaha Lubzall (? sp). Works great!

• 5valve

Posted August 28, 2004 - 09:22 AM

I'm using regular oil, that comes wasted off my engine, so I use it twice
the diffrence I notice is, that when chain is dry (o-ring), its quite noisy and the lifted rear wheel turns a bit slower as when I apply oil, the noise dissapears and the wheel turns a bit smoother
but no oil or any lube will get on the inner side of the O ring, or if it does, so will the water and that's the recepie for disaster (regina chains are a disaster product)

some pople stick with oil used for lubing the chain saw chain, very cheap, better outer lubrication (than engine oil) and biologically degradeable

you must know, that the paris-dakar rallye drivers use dry chain, and the same goes for the dusty conditions

• Butta

Posted August 28, 2004 - 11:08 AM

The thing that scares me about using old oil from the motor is the damage it could do to the O-rings. As we've all agreed, the o-rings keep everything out of the TRUE lubrication of the chain. Using anything that could damage those precious o-rings is a recipe for destruction. Used oil, for example, I don't trust. Combustion inside the engine produces acids which transfer undoubtedly to the oil. I don't care to put acidic liquids on an o-ring chain. Use an o-ring safe lube (not sure about WD-40 either). My $0.02

• 5valve

Posted August 28, 2004 - 11:25 PM

o-ring rubber is pretty durable, since oils, greases are in itself kind of acid based, so rings should withstand it
only thing that could be worrying are metal gearbox pieces cought in the oil but pouring it through females stocking :thumbsup: should filter it, but i dont do it

no matter what brand & type & quality u use, when you get stuck in mud it will all come off

• Eric_F

Posted August 29, 2004 - 01:14 AM

I think I've found my chain lube :thumbsup: It's PJ1 blue label and works very well.

• NewBee

Posted August 29, 2004 - 03:07 AM

I use Castrol chain lube and it works great. It does tend to gunk up after a few rides so every now and then i'll use LPS lube to break up the gunk while i ride. I also discovered that the LPS is a great cleaning agent. It just washes all the gunk off. My rear sprocket is spotless without any scrubbing or degreaser. :thumbsup: :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blireef

Posted August 29, 2004 - 10:39 AM

BUT the point is:usa::devil: you don't need the lube, the wheel may spin better in the garage but as soon as it gets dirty (5 minutes) it just holds the dirt on the chain so it can grind away the sprockets and chain faster. But if you want to throw money away on the lubes and the worn parts please send me a PM and I'll give you my address so you can send the money to me, I could use it. The only reason for the WD40 is that it's a water displacer so if you wash your bike it will remove the water so the chain won't rust. It provides no lubrication to the o-ring chain.. (that's 2 more cents so I'm up to 4 cents.. Over and Out!! Big Jim :thumbsup: :awww:

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted August 29, 2004 - 10:50 AM

Pouring used engine oil through females stockings only works well if she is not in them at the time. They have a tendency to get real irritated about messy stuff like that.

• stevedon

Posted August 29, 2004 - 10:56 AM

regarding wd40 , this product is oil and water based and will wash off leaving no long lasting benefits.Try Wurth dry lube this leaves a dry teflon film which will not attract dirt and will give long lasting protection

• blireef

Posted August 29, 2004 - 04:09 PM

stevedon,good idea! Now we're starting to make some progress on this issue!!! And it's such a mundane subject it causes virtually no stress when compared to a serious breakdown issue. :thumbsup: :devil:

• xcracer123

Posted August 30, 2004 - 05:58 PM

Don't use WD-40 as others have suggested. It will damage the o-ring chain. Over time it will deteriorate the o-rings. Spend the $ on an can of chain lube and use it on a dry chain after it has been ridden. You should apply when the chain is warm from turning over the sprockets for a while. Just my 2 cents.......

• blue_beast_wins

Posted August 31, 2004 - 01:54 PM

I have used only 80/90 gear oil for the whole life of my last chain, it lasted 3,122 k's as compared to 2,500-2,700 with 3-4 cans of chain lube consumed for the life of previous chains, at 25 bucks a can i am applying the cost of a new chain worth of chain lube, the gear oil cost me about 1 dollar :devil: bad money managment if you ask me :thumbsup:

• CaptRon

Posted August 31, 2004 - 07:20 PM

Back when I was a youngster (Mid 70s) I knew a man who would clean his chain after every race, put it in a pan of 90wt gear lube and heat it to a boil. He would then leave the chain in the gear lube until cool. then he would hang it from a hook and allow the excess oil drip back into the pan before putting it back on the bike. He said that the chain and the pan of gearlube would last forever.
I wonder if he is still using the same chain?
:devil: :awww: :thumbsup:

• yasotay1

Posted August 31, 2004 - 07:35 PM

Touchy subject. There are several brands of chain lube on the market that are oring safe, Belray makes one for instance. That said, I use an oring chain for the simple reason that the orings seal out the grit and grime from the rollers on the chain and therefore the chain does not wear out as fast as a non-oring chain that lets all the crap inside the rollers and acts like sandpaper. I like to use chain wax because I feel like its not as messy if applied properly. After I ride I wash my bike and then run it up the road and back just enough to warm up the chain so it will melt the wax in the chain. By the time I'm ready to ride again in the near future my chain is dry and sealed nicely. Never lube your chain just before you ride as all the lube will fly off onto your wheels and motor. Just my two cents. Later.

• DirtyDude

Posted September 01, 2004 - 06:53 AM

I agree that a wax like Maxima can be one of the cleanest solutions if applied sensibly. I believe it is the grease between the pins and bushings that is protected by the o-rings. The rollers are not protected and need regular lubing. After a 5 min chain-warmup ride, I spray a line of wax where the left side of the roller meets the side plate, then another line where the right side of the roller meets the plate. That keeps the rollers happy. If the outside of the plates are looking dry like it may want to start rusting, I'll spray a light coat on the outside and wipe it with a rag to keep just a thin, thin coat. I've been doing this for a while and my chain has virtually no gunk buildup and is even still shiny. A little gunk builds up on the sprocket teeth, but I clean that periodically. IMO, I think WD-40 could slip past the o-rings and attack the grease within, or worse, may even degrade the o-rings. One other thing, I've been told to lube the chain before washing the bike so as to not trap any water under the rollers and seal it in there with wax...

• yasotay1

Posted September 01, 2004 - 07:43 PM

Hey DirtyDude. I'm seriously not trying to be a dick but you lube a dirty chain and wait awhile for it to dry and then wash the bike. I'm always up for new stuff and if this seems to extend the chain life, I'll try anything. Thanks man. :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.