brand new '04 wr450 with subframe that looks bent

6 replies to this topic
  • RobertF

Posted August 27, 2004 - 03:59 PM

I just perchased an 04 WR450 less than 4 weeks ago from a dealer. I just now noticed that looking at the bike from the rear, the rear fender is significantly off to the right. "Significantly" meaning - PLAINLY noticeable to the eye (3/4"). I've ridden the bike less than 400 miles without so much as dropping it, crashing or even leaning it against a tree. So what could explain this rear fender and subframe looking so far off? I have a new YZ rear fender that I put on to see if it was plastic related, but it had the same result. When I put the seat on, the rear end of the seat also looks to point right. I put a Baja Designs license plate bracket on before I ever rode the bike and I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed the misalignment. Any ideas you have for this apparent mystery would be very appreciated. <font color="black"> Update: Well, I loosened the subframe and used all the play to my advantage, but it still appears that I'll have to lengthen the slots in the lower mounts of the subframe in order to center the rear fender over the tire. Somebody stop me if this is a bad idea!

• fershy

Posted August 28, 2004 - 10:09 AM

Why not take the seat and fender off and drop a couple of plumb lines off the rear subframe and see where they end up in relation to the swingarm? Also, you can inspect the weld points for any signs of paint stress; chipping or flaking. Just a thought. If it is bent, you should be able see exactly where.
fershy

• Eric_F

Posted August 28, 2004 - 01:14 PM

My bike has this as well, ot the extent of about a half of an inch. The subframe isn't bent, it's just the way the plastic is. It has had it as long as I can remember, and I don't think it affects the ride at all. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vantolr

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:20 PM

"I've ridden the bike less than 400 miles without so much as dropping it, crashing or even leaning it against a tree."

400 miles w/o crashing or dropping...that's pretty good. Are you sure you're riding it, or just looking at it in your garage....? :thumbsup: :awww: :lol: :devil: Joking of course, but I know I can never go 400 miles w/o at least laying it down once or twice. :D

• iNSaNe

Posted August 29, 2004 - 01:59 AM

Joking of course, but I know I can never go 400 miles w/o at least laying it down once or twice. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean :awww: I get a kick of people you don't ride(or don't ride fast) when you tell them stuff like that. I tell them if you're not crashing, you're not really riding :lol:

I have an 03 WR450 but haven't noticed anything like that, mine is perfectly square. I'd take off the side panels and make some measurements just to make sure everything is square :devil:

• RobertF

Posted August 30, 2004 - 05:49 PM

RESULT: I ended up elongating the mounting holes on the lower subframe about 2 mm each. I pushed the subframe to the left and tightened. I still don't understand why this occurred, but maybe time will tell. (As for the 400 miles with out falling .. I was doing those 400 miles in the Rockies. If you fall, it may be your demise.)

• afi

Posted September 15, 2004 - 11:02 PM

I have the same problem also with my wr450f 04 , dont know what to do excatly , when I ride the motorbyce, with my hand off I tilts to the right too. .Almost 1500km with no accidents or fall off. :thumbsup: :devil: afiwd@hotmail.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.