Friday the 13th Update

35 replies to this topic
  • was_Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 20, 2001 - 06:34 AM

The USFS started a controlled burn near Running Springs last Thursday that, well, got out of control and burned up over 1,100 acres in the area we are to ride. I am not sure how bad it is yet, but I am planning on going on a recon mission this weekend to see if it will impact our plans.

Knowing how the USFS operates, they will probably close the whole area for a few years. It's happened before.

Khris: my e-mail here at work is screwed up and I can not respond to your messages until I get home. Feel like going with me? Does Sunday work for you?

• sirhk

Posted June 20, 2001 - 07:15 AM

Can you believe we're junior TT members now!! :) How long till we become full fledged members? :D What's your plans for the Recon mission? Time requirements and susch. How long of a day are you thinking? Will I be able to cruise with my stock tank? :D Let me know the info. I should be able to make it though. I just want to make sure that I won't be dead for work on Monday.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited 06-20-2001).]

• was_Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 20, 2001 - 07:39 AM

It will be a light day, fuel will not be a problem. I just want to see if the area is burned up or not. Get some good riding in as well.

Should get an early start due to the heat. If it's just you & me we can hook-up at the 91/15 interchange and you can put your bike in my truck. I do this all the time with a freind that lives in your area. It works out well.

I think we need 35 posts to be full blown members again. :)

• sirhk

Posted June 20, 2001 - 07:51 AM

Well, you'd better hurry up with the posts cause I'm winning! :)

It'll probably just be me and that sounds good about meeting you. How early are you thinking? Depending on how hot it is and when we get off the trail I may stop by Elsinore on the way home if you're interested.
Let me know a time and place and I'm pretty sure I'll make it. How far up is 91 on 15? If I remember right it's only 15-20minutes north of Elsinore, right?

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• was_Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 20, 2001 - 08:26 AM

That sounds about right. How early can you be there? Is 6:30 out of the question? The place to hook-up is the off ramp right before the 91 on the 15. On the west side (left) is a McDonalds with a huge parking lot right behind it. It is a safe place to leave your ride while we ride (there is a police sub-station there so no one will be breaking into anything).

Whatdoyathink? You pick the time & I will be there.

• sirhk

Posted June 20, 2001 - 08:43 AM

How about 7:00 just to be on the safe side cause I'll leave my house at 5AM to maybe make it there by 6:30. Whatever, I'll leave at 5AM and get there ASAP. WOW that's super early for a weekend!! I need to fix a flat front tire from the track this past weekend but other then that I should be good to go. I'll call you Sat. if for some reason it's not going to happen but lets plan on it. Are you bringing the camera? Interested in Elsinore depending on conditions, time, and tiredness?

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• was_Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 20, 2001 - 11:09 AM

7:00 it is.

I will bring the cam & may be into elsinore. Gonna be hot!

• sirhk

Posted June 20, 2001 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, it's gonna be hot but it seems like as long as I drink a lot of water the day before and of riding and don't go to the bars the night before I'm fine. In fact I usually ride my best in hot weather as long as I get some water in me. I rode really good last sunday from 11:00 till 1:00 and the only reason I stopped was cause I didn't want to change the tire in the sun. I need to get an easy up or make one.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• Tree_hugger

Posted June 20, 2001 - 05:05 PM

Just testing and looking for some action in the offroad community.

• Tree_hugger

Posted June 20, 2001 - 05:09 PM

I was wondering what all these junior members are doing after the big downtime this site went through. Where is Pmaust and all those old guys? I miss all the full fledged members.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Swedisheagle

Posted June 21, 2001 - 07:36 AM

Hi guys.

Myself and two buddies had planned to ride Sun. morning there also, and the fire has us worried. My Uncle lives in Arrowhead & I gave him a call yesterday to see what he can find out for me. I'll post what I find out for ya.

We will be going directly to the campground (I don't remember what it is called) near the gun range. Maybe we will see you up there (White F150). I enjoyed watching your helmet cam footage. We have been afraid to cross Deep Creek.

• sirhk

Posted June 21, 2001 - 07:45 AM

Ron knows more of where we're going then I since this is my 1st time in that area. My bike is fairly easy to pick out. It'll probably be the only yellow YZ400 out there. I also ride in Blue shorts with Red Knee Braces so I usually can be spotted. Ron's bike is a blue WR with NO stickers at all. I'll let him describe his truck but if I remember right it's a silver Extended cab F150.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 21, 2001 - 08:10 AM

Swedisheagle,

It sounds to me like you will be at The Pinnacles staging area by the gun range. Kris & I will be sure to stop by and say hi. We will be staging at Miller Canyon down by Silverwood Lake (much easier to get to).

I see your coming from Long Beach. Are you interested on saving about an hour on your drive?

• Swedisheagle

Posted June 21, 2001 - 11:21 AM

We usually stage at Miller Cyn. also, but after we ride we have a graduation party to go to in Lake Arrowhead. We still take the hwy. to Miller Cyn. but at the silverwood lake Jctn. we turn left (I dont remember the hwy #) then take the dirt road up the back to Pinnacles (thats the place). Also since I ride the XR650 with a stock tank, it means less mileage from truck to trail.

My buddy will be on a 00' WR400 with 3/4 of the graphics, my cousin will be on my old 84' XR500 with '84' on the # plates & I'll be on my XR650 wearing a grey soft chest protector. We plan to stop at McDees at 6:30am.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 21, 2001 - 11:32 AM

Cool.

We will look for ya!

I think the fire is (was) on the other side of highway 18, but I need to see it for myself. Way to go USFS! Our tax dollars at work again.

• sirhk

Posted June 21, 2001 - 01:49 PM

Is it sunday yet?

Did you notice we're members!! Ha, I was joking around on that thread that Brian started informing us of the TT problems. My input is right after yours and then he changed it.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited 06-21-2001).]

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 25, 2001 - 05:40 AM

Good news for fellow Friday the 13th'ers. :)

No fire damage in the area of interest. The ride is on. Thanks sirhk for going with me, and it was nice meeting you Swedisheagle. I hope you can join us on the 13th.

• sirhk

Posted June 25, 2001 - 10:33 AM

Any word on the camera condition? Thanks for showing me the area!! I will definately be going back up there again. I was talking witha friend about the ride and we're going to try and make it up again sometime soon. My father has a map of the whole area with all the forest trails so I should be able to make my way around there again. Thanks again for the ride and I look forward to the 13th if all works out.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• PMAUST

Posted June 25, 2001 - 04:40 PM

Ron, I will not be able to make it because of vacation conflicts. However, my three sons still would like to join you. You can contact my oldest son at jessemaust@hotmail.com. I'll forward your email to him so you guys can hook up. Have a great time and I hope to make it next time. P

• Swedisheagle

Posted June 26, 2001 - 10:00 AM

Hey Ron & Kris, it was great meeting you guys on the trail Sunday. We'll be trying to join you for Fridays ride. I'm currently trying to adapt an old set of training floats from a jet ski to my XR650. It should help me get across Deep Creek :). Maybe even a small outboard motor....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.