Help..Easiest way to add a DMV approved Horn?

7 replies to this topic
  • thecirque

Posted August 27, 2004 - 01:48 PM

Without touching bikes electical, can someone tell me the easiest way to add a horn to my XR600R? I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical so I need someone to spell it out for me. Anyone? pictures are good.

• xrbrp

Posted August 27, 2004 - 03:29 PM

section 27000 of the CA vehicle code states,
(a) Every motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn which emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.

you may be able to get by with mounting one of the fog type air horns, I don't know of anybody that checks for an operable horn though

• nite

Posted August 28, 2004 - 02:51 PM

http://www.comfortho.../bikehorns.html

How bout looking for a battery operated horn that cyclists use? I looked a bit online and found those. I found the inspection for street legality here was more interested in my lights than anything else. They didnt even try the horn.

• Kev_XR

Posted August 29, 2004 - 09:55 AM

It helps to know which state you live in.
The laws vary greatly, which affects what you need to install.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpasaurus

Posted August 29, 2004 - 07:37 PM

I've been passing inspection w/ a little disposable sports air horn. 3 or so inches long and maybe 1" in dia from Walmart. I tie wrap it to my bars and have been passing inspection like that in Va for several years. It's real loud, much louder than my street bike electric horn.

• mmxr650r

Posted August 29, 2004 - 08:20 PM

As stated, it depends on what State you are in. Arizona no longer accepts the "squeeze" type. I used the 9-volt, battery operated (as shown in the previous link). It, as mentioned, is what the Bicycle Police use...so, it works for the Law (at least, here in AZ)...

• thecirque

Posted September 01, 2004 - 02:09 PM

Yeah,
According to UTAH law....."it must be audible". That's about the extent of the law. Leaves a lot to interpretation. I just want a working horn that I can get someone's attention with when I'm balled up in the bushes with broken ribs and can't scream for help, because the XR6 didn't quite slow down for the corner. Know what I mean?

• BrianVT

Posted September 02, 2004 - 10:43 AM

[QUOTE]
...get someone's attention with when I'm balled up in the bushes with broken ribs and can't scream for help...[QUOTE]
Some places out there maybe a flare gun'd be better ? :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.