Just bought a New WR450F, can anyone help with a few queries I have.

27 replies to this topic
  • spiceboy

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:25 AM

Hi Sox
Read your posts with interest as I just bought an '04WR450FS on Tues 31/08.
I'm in Oxford UK
Haven't had time to assemble it yet (bought it in the crate)I'm pretty certain it's a USA model and will need to do all the mods that you are.
Can you post the length you cut the throttle stop down to, any jetting changes and other bits & bobs that will be useful?
I hope to have it all sorted for racing on 19 Sept!!
Cheers mate

• Jackazz

Posted September 02, 2004 - 07:23 AM

The general concensus is that it needs to be 11mm shorter than it comes stock. At least that's what I found here. I cut mine down with a small pipe cutter & filed the sharp edges off & installed it with a good dab of grease on the end to protect the newly exposed metal from corrosion. Rode with it last weekend & had no problems. I also did the gray wire (used a pick to remove it from the connector, then sealed up the connector & covered the bare wire with electrical tape), & removed the airbox snorkel & exhaust insert. I have'nt re-jetted it yet, as it still runs a bit "fat" (rich) down low, & supposedly that's a good thing while breaking the motor in. I put 40 miles of mostly trail riding on it last weekend, so I'll probably change the oil & rejet before going out again. These things are a blast! :thumbsup:

• Sox450

Posted September 02, 2004 - 01:27 PM

If it is a Wr450'FS' then it is certainly an american model. I will be cutting my throttle stop tomorrow, I see Jackazz has already provided the required information.
I have just run the bike in at 50 miles, will change the oil for a motorcar synthetic (motorcycle oils are just a marketing ploy to extract more cash, I think there is a forum on this already....!), then I will be entering the Hare and Hounds event on Sunday north of Portsmouth. Will remove the exhaust insert for the event. Not much luck ordering the free flowing Yamaha exhaust insert, so will be ordering a PMB insert from the states, 4-7 day delivery time.

• Jackazz

Posted September 02, 2004 - 01:40 PM

...will change the oil for a motorcar synthetic (motorcycle oils are just a marketing ploy to extract more cash, I think there is a forum on this already....!

I dunno about another forum or any other oil related posts on this web site, but I do recall "speaking" with a guy in the UK who works for an oil company on visordown.com, I believe his statement was something to the effect of "friction" modifiers added to "car" synthetics can make your motorcycle's wet clutch slip quite badly.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sox450

Posted September 02, 2004 - 10:48 PM

so long as the oil does not have ''energy conservation'' stamped on the side, which is generally the lighter viscosity oils.

I used a lower grade car oil in my YZ 426 which I changed every second ride. I used to be able to ride flat out accross dersert dunes in 40C+ air temperatures, never had any problems riding every weekend for 2 years using car oil.

They claim the gears shear the polymers and the clutch slips, but I do not believe this.

Try these links...

www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html
www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

In TT under general, I think there is a string.... I will find it and post it.

• Jackazz

Posted September 03, 2004 - 06:48 AM

Hmmm :devil: interesting. Thanks for the info dude :thumbsup:

• wrooster

Posted September 03, 2004 - 10:03 AM

I dunno about another forum or any other oil related posts on this web site, but I do recall "speaking" with a guy in the UK who works for an oil company on visordown.com, I believe his statement was something to the effect of "friction" modifiers added to "car" synthetics can make your motorcycle's wet clutch slip quite badly.

please read
http://www.thumperta...2807#Post613158

also see
http://www.thumperta...722#Post1156722

regards
jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• Jackazz

Posted September 03, 2004 - 10:30 AM

OK, Your post in the first link is essentially a more technical explanation of what I have heard about alot of "car" synthetic (or even petroleum based) oils. If I interpeted the post in the second link correctly, I just need to watch out for the "energy conserving" label. Do you know of any other verbage or designations that one should avoid? (specifically in synthetic based oils)

Thanks for the info. BTW, do you work in the oil 'bidness, or just found the proper resourses for this research?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.