Rear shock spring

9 replies to this topic
  • das_sey

Posted August 26, 2004 - 06:45 AM

I am about to try and replace my rear shock spring with a stiffer one on an 03WR450. My question is, do I need to take the shock off completely or just unbolt the bottom portion to do this. Also, do I have to take off the air box assembly. The manual shows that I do, but not sure.

-------------------------------------------------------
03 WR450 Pro Taper Bars, New Treads, Michelin (S12), JD Kit,
Custom Radiator Guard

• rekless

Posted August 26, 2004 - 07:44 AM

I have a Race Tech 5.8 if your interested...I need to get rid rid of it. $70+shipping. Cost me $109+shipping just a few months ago. I believe you pull the spring from the top. Chuck

• jerryls

Posted August 26, 2004 - 07:46 AM

You don't have to remove the airbox. Just loosen the two lower bolts on the subframe, and the whole unit will rotate up and out of the way. Then you remove the top and bottom bolts holding the shock in. Seems super complicated before you start, but its easy and should only take about 15 minutes.

• tcmII

Posted August 26, 2004 - 06:36 PM

This is not a hard job. I did mine and took about 1/2 hour.

On the '98 WR:

Put the bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground.

Remove seat and side panels.
Unbolt master cylinder.
Loosen exhaust clamp.
Loosen air box to carb clamp.
Remove sub-frame bolts.

Now you can carfully move the sub-frame off to the side. Be careful of the coolant recovery hosesyou and the light harness. If you want to remove the sub-frame completely you will have to disconnect these.

Loosen the pre-load jam nut on the shock. you can do this with a punch and hammer.

Remove the upper and lower shock bolts.

With the jam nut loose you should be able to use channel locks (slip-joint pliers) to remove the jam and preload nuts and then the spring.

From there reverse the process to put it back together, except the jam nut. You will want to leave it loose until you reassemble the bike and set the race sag. After you set the sag you can tighten the jam nut with a long punch and a hammer.

Next time you will be able to do it faster.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

• das_sey

Posted August 27, 2004 - 09:49 AM

Thank you all for the help, everything seems to going very smoothly. I will be putting the shock back on tonight.

Thanks,

Dale

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vantolr

Posted August 27, 2004 - 12:36 PM

I'm just curious, what's your weight and what kind of riding do you do? Why are you replacing it?

• AkRider

Posted August 27, 2004 - 04:42 PM

I just replaced mine this week and it was easy. I took the hole back half of the bike of so that I could grease it all up. I weigh about 215lbs with gear and the 5.6 Race Tech seems to be just about perfect. I should have done this mod first thing. The shock and fork springs have made a big difference in how the bike handles now. :thumbsup:

• das_sey

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:51 AM

I am replacing the stock spring. I am 240lbs and putting a 6.0 race tech spring on the rear. It was actually easy with the advise I got from here. Unbolt the subframe and lift the whole ass end up and out comes the shock.

Thanks,

• das_sey

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:51 AM

I am replacing the stock spring. I am 240lbs and putting a 6.0 race tech spring on the rear. It was actually easy with the advise I got from here. Unbolt the subframe and lift the whole ass end up and out comes the shock.

Thanks,

• SXP

Posted August 30, 2004 - 11:07 AM

I'd have gone with a stiffer spring at 240 lbs - a 6.2/6.3 (if available). I bet you'll end up with zero static sag after you've set your race sag. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.