My WR 450 is now a whole differnt bike!

19 replies to this topic
  • Nate_R

Posted August 25, 2004 - 03:57 PM

Just thought I would share this experience with ya'll. My WR 450 is my first dirtbike so I'm still on the learning curve as far as bikes go but.... When I got it I figured all I would be doing was trail riding (NO MX!!!!) cause jumping was horribly dangerous. I don't know my logic seeing as I come from Extreme Mountainbiking, riding off cliffs. :thumbsup: Anyway to make a long story short, after about 4 months of riding I got extremely comfortable jumping and now I have outgrown my WR 450. It is a great bike for people that don't mind a heavier bike and don't need exceptional performance, and like e-start. I read on this forum about some people who had removed stuff from their bike so I did it on mine. As an experiment to get an Idea of how my bike would feel 30+ lbs lighter, I left only 1/2 gallon of fuel in it, removed the rearfender,kickstand, battery, headlight, and all plastic. I weighed every thing up removed and the total was around 29 lbs(including 2.1 gl less gas). I also removed the air box lid where the battery rests. First thing I noticed is it seemed alot faster. Then I rode a bunch of whoops, berms, 60 ft. doubles, etc. WOW!! before my bike would bottom out on big jumps. Now the suspension feels perfect to me. I weigh 200 lbs. It is a bit less plush on bumpy trail stuff, but now it rocks over-all. It feels so light and nimble in the fast twisty dezert stuff. I just throw the bike where I want it. I also felt a lot less fatigued after riding. I havent pulled off all the starter crap yet, but that should take off another few pounds. I'm lovin' my new set up. Oh yeah,
I almost went over backwards wheelie-ing cause now the front end comes up so much easier and feels all light when in the air compared to before. The bike also steers quicker and handles better. Not to knock on the stock WR 450, cause it's a great bike for what it was built for. But it does lack somewhat in the lightweight high performance spectrum.
I think I am a lot closer to the perfect all around bike. Now I have YZ 450 type handling and weight, but 5 gears instead of 4. I still need to put on a yz 450 rear fender and airbox ( 4lbs lighter than WR's for both)I know alot of people like the estart (I do too!) and this type of setup is not for everybody. But for those of you who feel like they are stuck inbetween the WR and YZ 450 and don't mind loosing the creature comforts, you might want to try this setup just to see what your bike will feel like. It only takes 10-20 min. or so to pull all the stuff off ( I left the starter on). You should try this if you are over 190 lbs and the suspension is too soft. It's cheaper than getting the suspension redone. I need to put all the plastic back on and pull off the odometer and all the starter crap. The end result should be a little lighter bike even though the center of gravity will be slightly higher from there being more gas in the tank while riding. (It's not practical to ride around with 1\2 gallon in the tank!) :devil:

• vantolr

Posted August 25, 2004 - 04:42 PM

If Yamaha goes to the aluminum frame in 2006, you'll realize significant weight reduction without totally YZing your WR.......

I can't wait!

• Nate_R

Posted August 25, 2004 - 05:42 PM

Sweet! Then I'll get an aluminum framed 06 Wr450 and YZ it and be EVEN lighter!

• jjk

Posted August 25, 2004 - 06:02 PM

you and your woman friend need to spend some time in lala land together writing chapters to your novel.... :thumbsup:

• NOMADAK

Posted August 25, 2004 - 06:55 PM

you and your woman friend need to spend some time in lala land together writing chapters to your novel.... :thumbsup:

What was the point of this? This fellow made a contribution based on his experiences that was informative and concise.

Maybe you should go troll around in off topic.

Thanks for your post Nate.

• AkRider

Posted August 25, 2004 - 07:45 PM

I've taken everything off but the electric start and think it's a great bike now. I still think the advantage of the e-start out weighs the weight of it. When I stall it in a corner or on a hill I can just hit the e-start and I am off again. I would like to find a lighter battery though.

• NOMADAK

Posted August 25, 2004 - 07:52 PM

I believe that DR. D(doug dubach's company) has a prototype battery out for the WR. It lasts about a dozen starts or so but is much lighter. Might be worth a look.

• rush66

Posted August 25, 2004 - 07:58 PM

im thinking wr in 06 instead of yzf i ride alot of trails and some track so i am always trying to make the bike the best for both worlds but if the wr weight was cut significantly and then yz it out i think that would be better for me than trying to wr a yz. four gears isn't enough for trails. can't wait to see the blue thumpers in o6 :thumbsup:

• Nate_R

Posted August 25, 2004 - 08:40 PM

you and your woman friend need to spend some time in lala land together writing chapters to your novel.... :devil:

I'll spend my time riding my woman in Baja land. She's now thirty pounds lighter! :thumbsup:

• jjk

Posted August 26, 2004 - 05:24 AM

you and your woman friend need to spend some time in lala land together writing chapters to your novel.... :lol:

What was the point of this? This fellow made a contribution based on his experiences that was informative and concise.

Maybe you should go troll around in off topic.

Thanks for your post Nate.

the point was, i wasnt talking to you :awww: nate got my point and thats all that matters :devil:.. i've riden the bike this fellow speaks of in his post and know first hand what he speaketh of..it all be true...it's the fastes dang darn bike in the whole westerner united states.. but thanks for your concern mother goose :thumbsup:.......hey nate, :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nate_R

Posted August 26, 2004 - 07:28 AM

I ain't a Canuck no more. Bastage! They made me renounce Canada ,( and England). Now I'm true blue american and they can't deport me back to Canada anymore, as of yesterday. :awww: All though Canada is a pretty damn good place to get deported to. :thumbsup: I have no idea in hell what your point is jjk :lol: . The only thing I know is my bike is faster than your Wr 400 ( I had like 5 bike lengths on you and even used my clutch to shift gears ) Probably wasn't my bike though, just my riding skills. You need to work on your riding skills, bubba. Ha ha. Then you can come ride with the " Big Boys" like Preston and me. hahahha. Preston said you suck at riding too. Hahaha. :lol: At least your faster than teletubby so that should make you feel good. I'm just jokin' man, don't get yur panties in a bunch. Preston said he might try to go riding Saturday morning real early at the crack :devil: of dawn, like 6:30. either cherry creek or Moroni. You wanna a go? I'll show you how a real American rides! You corn-fed billy goat humpin' BubbaGump Hillbilly!! Peace
:awww: :D :lol: :D :D :snore:

• ncmountainman

Posted August 26, 2004 - 05:24 PM

took all the starter crap off mine,and the z-start will be ordered on monday so the stalling issue should near be eliminated. no battery also allows yz airbox,yz rear fender and i wish you could use the yz L. sidecover but the rotor crap is different. chuck sthealy says the crank taper is different so you can't change the flywheel and guts. maybe someone will make a wr replacement cover without the starter hole? :thumbsup: :devil:

• Ronnie Mac

Posted August 26, 2004 - 07:16 PM

:lol: :awww: :devil: :thumbsup: :D

• sabin

Posted August 26, 2004 - 11:07 PM

I doubt it. I guess YZs will get the alu frame in '06 and WRs in '07.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 26, 2004 - 11:58 PM

I doubt it. I guess YZs will get the alu frame in '06 and WRs in '07.

Sabin, you might be right... :thumbsup:

• Radbuster

Posted August 27, 2004 - 01:22 PM

And I bet Sabin got it right. My beautiful YZ450 is now out to pasture (for sale) and I'm waiting to place an order for my WR450 '05 from Brokers. I'm going to strip it totally and make it into a YZ with Rekluse. For enduros that are only for registered bikes, the headlight and rear fender will be on, otherwise it'll be a YZ with 5 gears, 18" rear, slightly larger tank, YZ carb specs, and the new WR quiet exhaust. After trying that out for size, the Novation treatment front and back are going in. It's going to be great sneaking up on people with the quiet exhaust and passing in a plume of roost. Arrrghhh! I HATE THE WAITING. :thumbsup:

• Rick_Kienle

Posted August 27, 2004 - 03:24 PM

I've taken everything off but the electric start and think it's a great bike now. I still think the advantage of the e-start out weighs the weight of it. When I stall it in a corner or on a hill I can just hit the e-start and I am off again. I would like to find a lighter battery though.

From TT member ButchWR250F:

Created a solution for the overly restrictive 03 WR250 air box lid. He crafted a battery pack out of SLA-Type batterries, removed the airbox lid, and crafted a mount for the battery. The new battery weighs about 20 oz (with mount), and is tucked up inside the airbox out of the way. It takes up about the same amount of room as the old air holes in the old lid, leaving almost 3 times the airflow into the filter. He stated that he could get 7-8 starts with a 12V 1.3Ah battery without having to recharge and that the battery would rapidly recharge while riding. He got the battery from zbattery.com (model number UB1213). It was only $7.50 + shipping.

Posted Image

• AkRider

Posted August 27, 2004 - 04:25 PM

Do you know if my trickel charger well work on that battery set up? :thumbsup:

• RichBaker

Posted August 27, 2004 - 08:33 PM

What is Novation? Googled it and came up with a bunch of music keyboard hits....

• RodFugler

Posted August 28, 2004 - 04:06 AM

What is Novation?

Novation off-road suspension technologies
http://www.nostsuspe...ndex.php?id=116

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.