Shifting my tuning focus...

5 replies to this topic
  • HeadTrauma

Posted August 24, 2004 - 10:22 PM

I have been chasing around a surge in my recently aquired XR600. I thought it was a lean condition, so I went and got some richer jets. It has the same surge and poor running charactersistics after using a broad spread of jets. Today I put it back to how I got it; still popped and missed with a little black exhaust. I then lowered the needle from the 3rd to 2nd(from top) position, and it got worse. Here is a link to my post in the jetting foum: '95 Lean Jetting

I am trying not to have tunnel vision and focus only on the carb. Now that I've ruled alot out plus my bike's unresponsiveness to jetting changes, I am frustrated and figured I'd ask in here for any possible XR600 nuances I may have overlooked.

• minioutlaw

Posted August 25, 2004 - 07:41 AM

What about the coil? I had a bad coil on a bike that behaved properly when the bike was cold, but as the bike warmed up would begin to cut out.

• frankstr

Posted August 25, 2004 - 03:18 PM

Ignition or cam timing????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted August 27, 2004 - 09:48 PM

I was actually starting to suspect the ignition as that and the cam are the only things I havent checked. The engine supposedly has been rebuilt, so I suppose the cam could be off or have a slotted sprocket that slipped. I'm waiting on a Clymer manual so I'll have a reference when I dig in.

I assume I check the coil for a specific amount of resistance? Or is there more to it?

• don87xr600

Posted August 28, 2004 - 06:36 AM

sometimes good coils test bad, your best bet is to switch it out with a known good one. Good news is lots of years used that same coil. I'm guessing '88 thru 2000.

• HeadTrauma

Posted August 29, 2004 - 09:11 PM

Thankfully I dont even need to go that far. Today I was repairing my sparkplug boot(a prev. owner ripped the silicone pretty bad) and I had to pull the tank to wrap tape around the boot. I did that and figured I'd make sure the spade connectors on the coil were alright, and low and behold one of them was so loose it was rattling on the post bad enough to make wear grooves. I pinched down the connectors and put some dielectric grease on them and went for a spin. Dang, just like I KNEW an XR should feel. Thats right, 3 weeks of headache for a loose connector. Runs like beast now :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.