is it possible to remove a link or two

12 replies to this topic
  • InChanWeTrust

Posted August 24, 2004 - 06:13 PM

Hey All,
I have ordered a new chain, but don't think it will get here in time for this weekends ride. Since my chain is loose and axle is next to the last index mark on the chain/axle block, can I grind off a link to shorten the chain?
Chan
Please don't get crazy if this is a stupid question!

• smashinz2002

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:55 PM

Well, it's possible, but you would need to go to the cycle store and get the necessary tool to press on a new pin and roller. There is no master link on a stock XR650R so if you cut a link, it'll have to be pressed back using that tool and a new pin.
A worn out chain is going to eat your sprockets also. And worn out sprockets are going to eat a new chain.
Good luck with it whatever you do man. :thumbsup:

• InChanWeTrust

Posted August 25, 2004 - 01:51 AM

I realize the importance of swapping both chain and sprockets as a unit, but as I stated I wanted to ride this weekend and my new combo will not arrive on time. BTW, my chain has a master link, so I figured grinding a link and popping it out would not harm things that were going to be replaced.
Chan

• Mikie1

Posted August 25, 2004 - 05:31 AM

Yeah, just grind down the pin flush with the side plate. Open a vice wide enough for the pin to slide through, & line up the chain along the vice, with the pins down in the "groove" of the slightly open vise & drive the pin through. You can also do this on a block of wood that you drill a small hole in for the pin to push through the chain into. Piece o' cake. :thumbsup: :devil:

• InChanWeTrust

Posted August 25, 2004 - 07:20 AM

think this is safe idea to run?
Chan

• TimBrp

Posted August 25, 2004 - 08:56 AM

I just grind down the pin and punch it out the other side. The chain can be used again if you get a master link. That honda chain is like 200 bucks. Best chain I had on my pig though.

Off Topic-Chan you doing the Gnarly dude? PM me and we'll talk abou it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRP27

Posted August 25, 2004 - 08:57 AM

Its no different than what you have now.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted August 25, 2004 - 10:07 AM

Tim, I am not doing the Gnarly Dude, but we will definitely hook up soon. I will keep next Friday in mind.

• InChanWeTrust

Posted August 25, 2004 - 10:45 AM

I removed a link, now the chain is slightly tight. I guess I'll have to take a spin downtown to loosen it up again. Will this thing continue to stretch?
Thanks for the help.
OT timBrp, I pm'd you!

• BRP27

Posted August 25, 2004 - 03:17 PM

InChanWeTrust
Does the Tera Flex limit you from moving the rear wheel forward? :thumbsup:

• InChanWeTrust

Posted August 26, 2004 - 01:55 AM

it seems to be rubbing a little now that the tire is forward, so I hope the chain stretches a little before sunday's ride. If it matters, the tera rubbed ever so slightly with the axle markers a little past (towards rear) the next to last marks.
Chan

• BRP27

Posted August 26, 2004 - 02:36 AM

Mine has the stock chain. 13 tooth and 51 rear and I am a little forward of the middle of the adjustment range with the Tera. No rubbing

• InChanWeTrust

Posted August 26, 2004 - 06:02 PM

is it possible one of my get-offs has bent something? like the swing arm? I followed the xr650 FAQ about measuring from swingarm pivot to axle center when adjusting chain and tera rubs on right side ever so slightly. Maybe something is tweaked wrong.
Chan

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.