YZ450F Hurricane Kit question

12 replies to this topic
  • crash450f

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:34 PM

BTOSPORTS carries the kit but what about the blue tank?? I love the look of the old school look but I guess I would have to purchase a new tank as well? :thumbsup:

• Jeffro426

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:56 PM

To make it look right, you would probably want to buy a black tank!

• cowboyona426

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:10 PM

I think you can get either a yellow or black tank from Clarke. You'll also want to repaint the frame.

• crash450f

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:47 PM

Frame? I forgot about the frame...this may not be worth it

• Tyler426

Posted August 25, 2004 - 08:06 PM

my friend got it for his 426, he painted the frame black and painted the tank with black krylon fusion paint, looks great

• cowboyona426

Posted August 26, 2004 - 08:14 AM

my friend got it for his 426, he painted the frame black and painted the tank with black krylon fusion paint, looks great

The paint on the tank WILL bubble, it's just a matter of when.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffro426

Posted August 26, 2004 - 09:11 AM

If your planning on doing a tear down to begin with, its worth it...but if your doing it just to change the looks and want to do it half assed, dont bother.

• sjwr450

Posted August 26, 2004 - 09:31 AM

I used dye on my tank. Seems great so far. Time will tell.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 26, 2004 - 11:06 AM

I used dye on my tank. Seems great so far. Time will tell.

You used dye??? Sounds crazy enough to work, what exactly did you have to do???

• Rick_Kienle

Posted August 26, 2004 - 11:34 AM

I decided to do a complete tear down and rebuild of my 250F. In the process I am doing the Hurricane conversion. As stated above you need to do both the tank and the frame for the complete look. I decided to go with a black tank from Clarke and had my frame powedercoated black. Therefor I can use any color plastics / graphics in the future not just yellow. My 02 subframe was also painted blue so I stripped and polished it. Looks great!

Posted Image

I am still doing the rebuild but will post final pics if anyone is interested.

• DoctorRzed

Posted August 26, 2004 - 11:41 AM

I am selling my Hurricane Kit on w/two rides ya interested?

• cowboyona426

Posted August 26, 2004 - 12:07 PM

Was it a lot of work to strip the paint off the subframe? I would like to have a polished sub on my bike as well, but I've heard the paint is a biotch to get off.

• Rick_Kienle

Posted August 26, 2004 - 08:40 PM

I wouldn't say it was easy but it was not difficult. The key is to get the right stripper. I got a product called SureStrip from an airplane refinishing supplier. That combine with a little fine steel wool. 80% of the paint "fell" right off with the stripper. The rest took a little elbow grease with the steel wool. Some of the welds and "corners" were a little of a pain but again not too bad.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.