some opinions one a dune riding bike

7 replies to this topic
  • smashemup

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:57 AM

i was wondering what type of dune bike i should get a 250 2 stroke or a 450 4 stroke. i like the 250 because im light and the bike is lighter than the 450. but the 450 everybody says is a hill climbing machine. any help on which brand 250 2 strokes or 450 4 strokes. thnks :thumbsup: :devil: :awww: :lol: :D

• JSJ17

Posted August 24, 2004 - 09:01 AM

I've done a lot of riding in the dunes and I would definitely go with the YZ450 over any 250 two stroke. The one advantage the two strokes have is lighter weight, but sand robs a lot of power, and I prefer the 450's. Besides my current bike, I've owned a couple of 250's, and a KTM 300, but my YZ is without a doubt the best bike I've ever had for the dunes!

• squad56

Posted August 24, 2004 - 10:23 AM

as far as which brand for the 4strokes, they are all about the same. i rode an 04 crf450 and the only differences between i noticed was that the power felt a litte different and the handling was better than my yz. it just depends on what color you like

• Davidyz450

Posted August 24, 2004 - 09:02 PM

My yz450 rips in the sand. I love it. I'll ride wheelies around bowls in 4th gear easily. I've riden a lot of 2 strokes out there and I definitely enjoyed a powerful 4 stroke more. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2004 - 09:19 PM

as far as which brand for the 4strokes, they are all about the same.

Oh, far from, says I. There's only three, and of those, only two most of us can afford. The BIG KTMs are pretty neat in their own way, but pricey and expensive to repair. The Honda is not as powerful as a the YZ, but it is easier to ride hard, which is weird, 'cause it doesn't end up going faster. It feels smaller and slightly more crowded. I don't like a couple of technical things about the engine.

I ride a YZ450F because I thought it was better than the other 2, and I haven't changed my mind. I agree with Dave that sand takes power, and a lot of power across a wide powerband makes a big thumper a great choice. They really aren't that much heavier than a 250, either, but the weight is a little higher.

Of course, there was my old CR500....

• smashemup

Posted August 25, 2004 - 08:16 AM

i ride at dunmont dunes and am also wondering which bike would be the best for racing up comp. hill. and any mods that would help for each bike
:thumbsup: :devil:

• noslo98

Posted August 25, 2004 - 12:53 PM

I ride sand mountain,nv on a 03 yz 450 with one tooth down on front. It rips up comp hill I weigh 250 and I am taking the 500's by at least two bikes and 250's by well i dont know they are back there a waise. Definitly a 450 with my fat a#% they are clocking me at 53 mph with most quads at 35mph it pulls the hill in fourth gear with no prob.

• socalduner

Posted August 25, 2004 - 01:45 PM

I was up at sand mountain last year and I smoked a guy on a CR300 and another guy on a built Banshee. I was on my stock 426. The Banshee guy was kinda mad at me, he had about 20k in that thing and my stock bike beat him. I went up 2 on the back sprocket and this thing pulls great on the hills. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.