Should I dump my YZF for an 05 WR?

22 replies to this topic
  • Indy_WR450

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:28 PM

If i could have both a 2 smoke and my 4 I would get the KTM 300 ! You must be crazy fast on that thing. You were super fast at Moab on that WR426! I am going to ride Colorado the weekend before our Moab excursion so I will PM you John. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwriott

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:30 PM

OldenPhatt, I think the new WR450 is still not enough to warrant the $$ compared to your current bike. It's going to be heavier but it will have the e-start and a decent top end speed so for your $3000-$3500, I don't think you are getting that much.

I think the next year or so we are going to see these bikes change a lot with Honda and Suzuki bringing out competetive bikes. The only thing that's really needed is a weight reduction which hopefully, will be the next big step.

You must be crazy fast on that thing. You were super fast at Moab on that WR426! I am going to ride Colorado the weekend before our Moab excursion so I will PM you

It took me about an hour or so to get comfortable really wicking the 300 up. It's got way more hit than the 426 and the power is not as broad so you need to keep on top of things a little more to really move. However, I REALLY notice the 40 lbs. weight difference. I'm not sure if I'll be a whole lot faster but I don't get as tired. :thumbsup: Top speed is way down compared to the WR. I'd say 10 mph or so which doesn't thrill me so there are trade off's.

• condog_aus

Posted August 25, 2004 - 12:30 PM

The WR's have plenty of torque when derestricted, but they dont come close to the exhillarating yz450f. If you want to ride on the road buy the WR, for everything else a YZ is the go. As for whether to upgrade its totally dependant on your wallet, cause even the best riders are insignificantly faster on 450f than they were on 426's.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.