Trail riding with trials

15 replies to this topic
  • motoxrider969

Posted August 23, 2004 - 06:41 PM

I want to get a trials bike to do trials, but i also love riding trails, is it possible to still ride trails with a trials bike, i know gas would be a problem, but i can carry extra. I would think it would be easier to trail ride since you can do harder stuff on a trials. Thanks for any input.

• sheriff1

Posted August 23, 2004 - 07:30 PM

There are a couple of bikes that you can get larger tanks for. You will still have limited range but with planning you can have a blast. Once you get used to a trials bike try out a local event at the novice level. You'll be suprised at the fun you will have and the quality of people you will encounter. :thumbsup:

• TrialsRider

Posted August 23, 2004 - 08:35 PM

I trail ride all the time on my Gasser. I have a Hebo 1 liter tank on my forks and a couple of MSR fuel bottles. Its a lot of fun to do some real hard singletrack on them.

Scorpa makes a "long ride" type trials bike. Has a Small seat with a larger fuel capacity.

• 2PLY

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:29 AM

I trail ride all the time on my Gasser. ...........

Same here but I don't have the Hebo spare tank. It looks really trick, but I wanted to keep the headlight for those times that I might stay out too long. Can you keep the headlight with the Hebo tank?

I also use the MSR aluminum 1 liter fuel bottles and carry one on each side of my Trans-Alp Camelback pack. I just fill up the tank as soon as I can to lighten the pack and to get a good idea of how my gas consumption is going.
I find that my tanks in ALL of my Gas Gas bikes seems to hold almost exactly three of those bottles.

If you are doing standard single track riding with your big bike buddies (probably in 5th and 6th gear most of the way), you can go much further than they can on the same gas. My last ride with 2 KTM 525 buddies was 51 miles on single track and I used the gas in my tank and one fuel bottle for the entire ride. I used a little over 1 gallon and that was with my 2002 280 Pro.

If I am riding the stuff I like, I use more gas but my distances are usually less than 25 miles. Have never needed more than 2 bottles to make it back with gas to spare. Keep in mind that if your ride starts out low and climbs, you can make it back on 1/2 or less of the gas you used going up. And these bottles ride very well in a pack. I never feel them even if I put them in the center of the pack as long as they are standing up.

Go for it and have fun. No need for the big tank if you carry the bottles and no need for the seat if you keep your legs in shape and ride with the proper stance.. I'm 57 and still don't need one. But there have been times coming down some long steep hills that it sure would be nice. I'm waiting for the inflatable shaped cordura seat that will fit in my pack and then snap or velcro to the bike for those downhill trails back to camp. :thumbsup:

• TrialsRider

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:59 AM

I don't know if you can keep the light or not. I took mine off the day I got it for competition.

I still have my headlight, I'll see if I can rig something up... :thumbsup:

• motoxrider969

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the replies, now all i have to do is find a reasonably priced trials bike. Hopefully i can get the 800 for my 86 cr125 soon, so i can start saving up and looking around. If you know anyone selling a trials bike for under 2k lmk please.

• slowride

Posted August 24, 2004 - 12:52 PM

I have my trials bike forsale ( blew my knee out wont be able to ride trials for awile) it's a 94 gasgas 250 $1700 by portland ,Oregon 503-824-6979

• Eric_in_WA

Posted August 24, 2004 - 01:12 PM

My son and I have done a lot of trail riding on a Sherco 290.

Good:
Light
Flickable
Corners very well
Easy to handle
Awesome in the tight technical stuff
The machine will go almost anywhere.

Downsides:
Limited fuel capacity (can be addressed with a tank bag and bottles of fuel - I can carry a total of 2 gallons on the Sherco.)
Overheating on hills - I weigh about 250 in gear and the coolant boils out on longer hills. I have to let it cool and add coolant which makes it unusable for my weight in the hills. My son who weighs 90 lb in gear does not have the problem.
The suspension is too soft for fast speeds over rough terrain for a larger person. You can learn to use your legs to compensate, but it is tiring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoxrider969

Posted August 24, 2004 - 03:07 PM

Well i weigh about 130, i dont think i would have many problems. And dont these bikes hook up well on all terrain? Im sorry, i live in CT and oregon is too far away. Also im lookin for something a little newer, i like the new designs better.

• 2PLY

Posted August 24, 2004 - 09:38 PM

All of the current late model Trials Bikes are great machines. They are constantly being updated even several times during a model year.
I only have direct trail riding experience with Gas Gas Trials bikes. I weigh 225 before adding pack, boots and clothes. I have never had any sign of overheating nor any loss of coolant and that goes back to my 94 Gas Gas and including all 4 of my current bikes.
I do know that Gas Gas recently upgraded their fans for more cooling with less electrical load but I've never experienced a problem.
If you are planning on a late model bike, especially with your weight, there should be no concern. However, I keep a spare new fan on hand and I usually let the bike run at idle for a minute or two after a hard hill climb before shutting down. I have had one fan go weak on my 97 but then I was pressure washing my bikes back then. I no longer do that.

Take care and enjoy whatever bike you get. You don't need a long ride seat or tank, but if you can afford it, it certainly will do no harm. You will have a great time whether you ride trails or Trials. But keep in mind that you will learn more and faster if you participate in some local fun Trials Competition and ride with better riders than you. :thumbsup:

• TrialsRider

Posted August 25, 2004 - 01:37 PM

I broke the fan blades on my 02. Then upgraded to the new ones, they have more, but shorter blades. Havent had any problems yet.

As far as headlight goes, you could zip tie it up, but I think it would point too high.

Motox, where do you live?

• motoxrider969

Posted August 25, 2004 - 04:48 PM

CT

• huntmaster

Posted August 26, 2004 - 05:41 AM

I want to get a trials bike to do trials, but i also love riding trails, is it possible to still ride trails with a trials bike, i know gas would be a problem, but i can carry extra.

As some veteran types will tell you, the older generation of trials bikes with fuel ranges, gearing and an actual seat probably were better for the task, but it can still be done on the newer bikes, with a little planning. Check out the following link:

http://www.trialscanada.com/elko.htm

• 2PLY

Posted August 27, 2004 - 04:03 PM

I want to get a trials bike to do trials, but i also love riding trails, is it possible to still ride trails with a trials bike, i know gas would be a problem, but i can carry extra.....

Look what I found in my photos archives.. 2 hunters solved the small seat / gas tank problem and even the low handlebar problem on a pair of 1974 Yamaha TY 250 Trials Bikes... Amazing what you can do with a little duct tape ("The handyman's secret weapon") and a visit to Bent Bike.. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• Motu

Posted August 29, 2004 - 03:49 PM

My 1986 TLR200 was a hunters bike,it had a big rack on the back and the previous owner said he'd hauled 4 pigs at once out of New Zealand bush with it.What we call bush others may call inpenetrable rain forrest.

• 2PLY

Posted August 29, 2004 - 08:30 PM

My 1986 TLR200 was a hunters bike,it had a big rack on the back and the previous owner said he'd hauled 4 pigs at once out of New Zealand bush with it.What we call bush others may call inpenetrable rain forrest.

:devil: Now 4 pigs on a Trials Bike would be a great photo :awww: But I bet the people in Thailand could stack a few more on there. I've seen people in S.E. Asia riding Honda Dreams with their entire family all over the bike.. Still don't know how they do it and survive. :thumbsup:

I guess you could say my Gas Gas carrys at least one pig.. until I lose a few more pounds :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.