what are the problems with the alledged "problem prone" 00 426?

9 replies to this topic
  • oldNslo

Posted August 23, 2004 - 04:33 PM

I bought an `00 426 early this year. Got it from a trustworthy dealer with just one owner, unraced and in excellent condition. You could say it looked brand new when I got it. I've ran about 5 tanks through it mostly trail riding. A few times on the track but not to race, some hill climbs. I havn't beat on the bike but I have ran it hard. Every once in the while there's a post about the "problem prone" 2000 YZ426F. I've had none whatsoever. But, I'd like to know what these alledged problems are so maybe I can correct them before they really become a problem. Anyone wishing to give me some feedback on this would be doing a me a great favor....of course this looks good on your karma sheet too! :thumbsup:

• indiandunes

Posted August 23, 2004 - 05:15 PM

Not to put down the bike, I like mine,

But how many TT's belong to the Blown third gear club. I'm one!

• Satch0922

Posted August 23, 2004 - 05:57 PM

No blown 3rd gear here (2002)

The 2000 model had clutch chatter ( not a problem if you can live with it). They also had a problem with the counter balancer. It is held onto the crankshaft with a keyway. 01 and new models used a spline gear to hold it on.

Otherwise I don't recall any "issues" specific to that year model.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 23, 2004 - 06:05 PM

Once again, I must correct the King of Bling :thumbsup:

1. Counterbalancer- some have had problems. I have not had any problems with mine since I owned this bike.
2. Clutch- do a search for my post titled "01 clutch fix" and thank me later! :devil: Some people also had problems with exploding baskets. Again, no problem here.
3. Rear hub- some people had these explode as well. No problems on my bike, but be sure to check your sprocket bolts, especially after installing a new sprocket.
4. Jetting- Yamaha f'ed up the carb settings on the 00 badly. Get an 01 needle (OBEJP- 12 bucks) and do the GB mod for starters. Then you should be pretty close.

That said, I've owned my bike since it rolled off the showroom floor, and it has rarely given me any problems. All the problems it has given me were from something I did to it anyways!!! Ride it and love it, the 426 is a GREAT machine.

• Fastest1

Posted August 23, 2004 - 10:19 PM

Cowboy is right, they are very dependable. If you are in there you can check on the problem (or potential problems) easily. I have been on TT quite awhile and really havent seen too many problems on any model that would be considered a defect or a reason not to scream it. Just change the oil regularly and clean the air filter always, you shouldnt have any problems. Dont tighten the chain too much and you wont explode the hubs! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldNslo

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:30 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks! I've been playing wrench for years on lotsa stuff. Almost everytime one thing is modified something else suffers. I suspect many issues I've read are due to altering what may not have HAD to be altered. As far as I'm concerned Yamaha always has and probably always will make a great dependable machine. Regular maintenance and common sense are great tools. Thanks again to those who offered their input. Have a ball!

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:52 AM

To add to Cowboy

The counter balancer issue was corrected in late model years of 2000, this was only seen (I believe) in the first shipments, I have a 2000 built in Aug of 2000 I have checked this twice now and no issues.

The Clutch is the Major issue on the Bike Do the 01 clutch fix or go Zstart Auto, (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ZSTART) You will have a completely different and awesome bike bike with the Zstart clutch.

Ditto again on the bolts, just order a new set of bolts and nuts keep them torqued :thumbsup:

EPJ as well along with the GBmod

Suspension work, Get it done

My 2000 has been flawless :devil:

• bob333

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:59 PM

hinson clutch baskets are great for the 426 because the stock rivets can come loose

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 27, 2005 - 07:51 PM

Well here is a list of things you should plan to do on the bike:

1. 01 clutch update
2. nissan master cylinder
3. lightspeed fork guards and CR brake line
4. JD jet kit and BK mod the carb. run an extended fuel screw
5. 450 exhaust cam install

That will update the bike and fix the carb jetting. After that, get the suspension revalved! Makes a world of difference on the 00 bikes.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:17 AM

Well here is a list of things you should plan to do on the bike:

1. 01 clutch update
2. nissan master cylinder
3. lightspeed fork guards and CR brake line
4. JD jet kit and BK mod the carb. run an extended fuel screw
5. 450 exhaust cam install

That will update the bike and fix the carb jetting. After that, get the suspension revalved! Makes a world of difference on the 00 bikes.

This is the best list really.

I had problems with the counter balancer keyway. I bought a stock one to replace it with and it was just not tight enough to keep the gear. I ended up making one out of some key stock that was longer and fit much better and at that point, I never had another problem with it.

One other thing that was pretty odd, the steel insert that carries the spline in the OEM clutch hub shook loose and just about came out. The entire clutch assembly was wobbling around enough to touch the clutch over...after replacing the hub with a hinson part..the clutch worked so nice it was amazing. (I already had the Hinson basket)

I believe a lot of the Hub problems were adjustment related. The counter shaft is a little further away from the swing arm center than most two strokes and guys would adjust the chain a little too tight and it'd bind up the chain when you traveled through the suspension stroke and somethings gotta give.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.