1987 XR600 Dual Carbs Please HELP!!

2 replies to this topic
  • al600

Posted August 23, 2004 - 04:31 PM

Hello everyone! I'am a new member to this forum. Really enjoy all the good information on here. I recently purchased a 1987 xr600 for a winter project. I got it from a small bike shop and the guy did'nt know to much about it. It has a supertrapp exhaust and a K&N filter. My question is with the dual carb set-up what is the best jet size to run in this thing. What are the stock settings? Are these carbs worth rebuilding or is their an aftermarket compamy that offers something better? The bike starts a little hard and has a hesitation right after you roll on the throttle. Other than that it revs out nicely. Could a guy use two Mikunis and a dual throttle cable? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR250rdr

Posted August 24, 2004 - 12:30 AM

I'd try cleaning them out well before messing with the jetting. Especially on an old bike.

A feature of the dual carbs is for the motor to bog when the throttle is whacked open from idle. There really isnt any way to fix it rather than just not do that while riding. However it shouldnt hesitate with just rolling on the throttle. Sounds like the carbs need to be cleaned and adjusted. I'd watch ebay for a Honda manual and pick one up.

I think you'd have worse luck with two Mikuni's. The throttle response would probably end up being worse. The stock duals arent exactly dual carburators, but closer to a dual barrel carb with a mechanical advance secondary. They were supposed to have the best of both worlds...good throttle respone and a good top end. With my bike at least, Honda got the top end part right. Coulda done a bit better on the throttle response part.

• flyinW

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:44 AM

Ya... what he said! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.