Carb Question 99 WR400

4 replies to this topic
  • TW

Posted August 23, 2004 - 01:29 PM

Right off idle there is a glitch with this carb, it hickups and acts if it is not getting any fuel. Everywhere else it is fine. The bike is stock except for free mods, I don't believe this to be purely a jetting issue(could it be TPS, air jet etc.), it is an annoyance when trying to ride very slow speeds. We've cleaned the carb, adjusted the fuel screw several times, tried different pilots etc. Any suggestions.........TW

• Lheffe

Posted August 23, 2004 - 02:24 PM

Hey TW.

I have a '99 WR400 with this problem also. If you have cleaned the routine crud buildup out of accelerator pump bowl, then try searcing for the "Taffy RC collar accelerator pump mod" in the TT archives. This mod involves mounting a tiny radio-controlled model wheel collar onto the acc. pump shaft. Set the shaft movement for 0.32 (+ -) and tighten the little allen key down. This will restrict the amount of "acc pump squirt" into the engine on initial throttling.

I would also HIGHLY SUGGEST replacing the timing chain on the bike. As the chain wears and stretches, your timing gets worse and worse. This timing error may be a significant part of the bog problem.

Hope this helps.
-Jeff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TW

Posted August 23, 2004 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Jeff, I'll give it a try, if only I had my old 99 back to do a quic carb switch it would have made life simpler :thumbsup:............TW

• The_Missile

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:04 AM

Check carb slide also

• Taffy

Posted October 04, 2004 - 12:21 AM

drop the needle once and if ok drop it again. that should be the start. if you want to go further i would drop the MJ to a 165 maximum. by now it should come good.

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.