just bought a 76 Honda 550 and need some information

3 replies to this topic
  • itzmefantazia

Posted August 23, 2004 - 12:41 PM

as i said i just bought a 76 honda 550 and i have 2 question. First when i leave the gas on it leaks. is this because the floats are stuck in the carb. of which i have 4, i sure yall knew that, and also if the battery is low will i have problems starting it. Ihave a kick start. Please help.
Sincerely,

Toni Poole
you can contact me on yahoo IM as itzmefantazia@yahoo.com

• frankstr

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:23 PM

I'd say yes to both questions......
Dude,like your at the wrong booth with that bike :thumbsup: :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woodsryder

Posted August 23, 2004 - 05:25 PM

Toni

It sounds like the carbs need a good cleaning. You can buy carb rebuild kits here. http://www.oldbikeba...ycle_parts.php? There is a great forum for older honda four cylinder bikes on this website. bike=&subcategory=Ignition+Coil&DisplayPerPage=20&Start=0http://www.sohc4.net/

Good luck, they are great bikes and as smooth as anything you can buy now.

• smashinz2002

Posted August 25, 2004 - 08:40 PM

Sounds like one or more of the float needle valves are not seating properly, or, one or more of the floats in those carbs are not floating. All of the carbs should be removed, taken apart, cleaned thoroughly, and replace worn parts and gaskets.
I have a friend who bought an old '77? model Kawasaki KZ1000 and it had the same problem, which was easily fixed. And it DID NOT have a battery, but it was very easy to kick start, I found that amazing, but true. As far as power goes, that old KZ1000 is pretty fast, but not overly impressive I didn't think, compared to the amazing acceleration of my KX500 and XR650R. It's all in the power to weight ratio ya know.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.