need new side number plate (exhaust side)

16 replies to this topic
  • Hurricane

Posted June 19, 2001 - 08:39 AM

Anyone know who sells cheap plastic? The spacer that keeps the side panel from touching the exhaust fell off and my exhaust melted a big hole through my plastic :). The dealer said you have to buy both sides which was about $70. I know there got to be cheaper place to get them. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• mikeolichney

Posted June 19, 2001 - 09:39 PM

Streits.com sold me one for $30. (I have a WR250 and wanted the slimmer YZ panel since I have a DrD pipe). You can get both from Acerbis or UFO for the $40 range, but they don't have heat tape on them like the stock one.

• sirhk

Posted June 19, 2001 - 10:01 AM

I need the other side panel. My bike was chained up with another friends bike at night out at the desert while we were out cruising the trucks and the wind blew them over. Mine landed on top and his footpeg punched a hole in my left nuberplate. I've got the yellow hurricane kit and am trying to find a black set of replacement ones. The only company that makes them in black is Maier. I've heard these are kinda cheap quality but then again they are only side panels!

------------------
Khris
What's that? A Yellow YZ400!!

• Hurricane

Posted June 19, 2001 - 10:08 AM

Khris,

I have the yellow hurricane kit on my 98 WR too. I've got the white side panels though. If I have to buy both of them I probably will get the black. I looked at Acerbis website and they had the set for $53 but they only came in white or blue. Let me know if you find anything else.

Chris

• sirhk

Posted June 19, 2001 - 10:47 AM

I know that Maier makes them in Black and I'm pretty sure they are cheaper then Acerbis. I think their quality is similar to UFO. I've checked UFO, Acerbis, and Maier and Maier is the only one that carried them in black. I'm going to get them, I'm just waiting for the small local shop that I like to support to get approved as a Maier dealer. I'll let you know. I'll call them today and find out the latest scoop on them getting them for me.

------------------
Khris

• Hurricane

Posted June 19, 2001 - 10:50 AM

Khris,

That's cool, keep me posted.

Chris

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 19, 2001 - 11:28 AM

I just replaced my side panels with a pair from UFO. They were $52 for the pair from Dennis Kirk (DK). I think Yamaha wants $60 each for the stock panels. They look and fit well, and the right panel comes with heat shielding covering almost the entire panel. My FMF muffler had melted a huge hole in the right panel, so the heat shielding will be nice. I wanted to get "reflex blue", but DK only had white in stock. Since I need instant gratification, I got white. They look like new a pair of stormtrooper helmets! :)

• bobwombat

Posted June 19, 2001 - 03:04 PM

sirhk: do you know a product # for the Maier black side panels for the WR? i've been to their web site & it only shows the panels in white or blue. although i've got the Acerbis silver kit (nice!) myself, i'd take a pair of black side panels just for grins if i could find 'em. thx, bobwombat

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirhk

Posted June 20, 2001 - 05:43 AM

I'm sorry guys, I hope I didn't confuse all of you. I have a 99' YZ400. I keep forgetting that this is the WR side it's just that I find the info over here more informative usually then the YZ side. I'm not too sure of the compatability of the side plates but the part # for Black YZ side panels is 234850. Even if they don't did you see that the price for a set was $40. That's a little better then what Yamaha wanted!!

------------------
Khris

• bobwombat

Posted June 20, 2001 - 08:58 AM

thx, sirhk. my acerbis silver set is also for the YZ or WR; they just have you cut out a small portion of the inside to fit the WR properly & maybe the Maier does the same. i'll check it out so thx for the info...bobwombat

• sirhk

Posted June 20, 2001 - 09:28 PM

How's the silver look? Do you have the entire bike silver or just some? Any pics?

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• SFO

Posted June 20, 2001 - 09:59 PM

I just recieved a set of UFO sideplates for my wr.
They are replacing the Acerbis ones which fit poorly and I was unsatisfied with.
The UFO sideplates have heat tape in them and come complete with aluminum buttons, just like stock.
No trimming required either.
PU has white and blue in stock.

• scottannand

Posted June 20, 2001 - 11:24 AM

$40.00 will get you a set YZ or WR (what ever you want)of OEM of little use. I'll including the shipping!
Let me know...

• Hurricane

Posted June 20, 2001 - 11:29 AM

Scott,

Thanks for the offer but I just ordered some Maier side panels for $40 along with a few other things I needed from Golden West Cycle.

Chris

• sirhk

Posted June 20, 2001 - 12:21 PM

Chris,

Let me know when you get the panels and how they look. Did you get the black ones?

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• bobwombat

Posted June 20, 2001 - 07:07 PM

sirhk: the silver looks great, i think. sets my bike apart every time & i get alot of comments/compliments @ the track. it's just something different that basic blue. the acerbis silver kit came w/YZ front & rear fenders, radiator shrouds & the 2 side panels. sorry, no pics. i went to the "Pictures" section & tried to find some that used to be there; Bruce in Phoenix, I believe, but to no avail. i just want the black for ANOTHER change.....bobwombat

• Hurricane

Posted June 21, 2001 - 04:01 AM

Khris,

I'll let you know how they look and fit when I get them. I think they should be in in the middle of next week. I had to go with the white ones because I have the One Inudustries gripper seat and the graphics on the side of the seat blend into the side panels and the graphics on the tank. I've got the IMS 3.5 gallon YZ tank. If I can find any pictures I'll post them.

Chris

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.