Safety wire drain bolt

2 replies to this topic
  • Mike_Hudson

Posted August 23, 2004 - 08:40 AM

Changed my oil yesterday and noticed the crankcase bolt had a bit of oil on it. No drip just damp. Put the wrench on it and very little umph required to break it loose. I always use a torque wrench to tighten it up. So...I drilled a 3/32 inch hole through the bolt head and wired it up. I've got a zipty magnetic drain plug, appears to be aluminum, maybe the threads are wearing :thumbsup: Anyway better safe than sorry :devil:
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted August 23, 2004 - 08:47 AM

Good thinking Mike. I did that with my Zip-ty bolt when I bought it. Easy and peace of mind. :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 23, 2004 - 10:01 AM

Hey Mike, the threads may be going in the bottom of your pan so that even with the right torque oil is getting past the threads. Make sure the washer & bolt & drain hole edge is clean next time you install. Most likely tightened with dirt trapped between the bolt and the pan surface.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.