HAs anyone taken out the e-start?

19 replies to this topic
  • ill_caper

Posted August 23, 2004 - 05:25 AM

I want to remove the whole e-start assembly for weight savings. I feel that I do not need the estart since it starts first kick so effortlessly. My question is: WHat do I need to remove and what should I use to plug the hole left by the starter. Also, if I remove the e-start, does anyone want to buy my '04 starter upgrade? Any help would be great. Thanks! :thumbsup: :awww: :devil:

• ncmountainman

Posted August 23, 2004 - 05:41 AM

i have just taken off everything to do with the starter saved around 11 lbs and still have yet to take off the one way clutch and crank gear! the difference is unbeleivable you can actually "flick" the bike now instead of wrestle it! i'm going to order the rekluse clutch next week to make sure i don't stall in any precarious places. take off everything to do with it,ignition switch(you'll have to jumper the brown and red wire,don't worry about the other two they just light the diode),starter switch,battery cables(take the ground that goes to the engine and put it to the fuse block,on the neg. side of course)starter relay switch, all the gears, i plugged the hole with a rubber freeze plug from auto zone 1 1/8" it will seem loose at first but once you tighten it its not goin anywhere. you shouldn't have any trouble selling your parts,i sold mine before they were even all off! should be able to get $300 for everything including battery. :thumbsup: btw hows the header workin out ?

• ill_caper

Posted August 23, 2004 - 01:53 PM

Thanks alot! I actually havent installed the header yet. Thanks alot again for that. I love thumpertalk!!!!

• Gadsen

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:23 PM

Wow, I just wired some money to Canada for a new WR450F and selling my WR426F for the electric start. I must be a candyass! As for the weight, I already trimmed 55 lbs off of my WR so the starter is a "non issue".

• Gadsen

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:23 PM

Wow, I just wired some money to Canada for a new WR450F and selling my WR426F for the electric start. I must be a candyass! As for the weight, I already trimmed 55 lbs off of my WR so the starter is a "non issue".

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 23, 2004 - 04:12 PM

Hey CandyAss! :devil: What planet did you weigh your bike on? :awww: How did you manage to get 55lbs off of a WR? That seems impossible to me and still have it rideable. I put weight on my bike and it is now close to 276. lbs on the scales with a full 3.4 Gallon tank. :thumbsup:

• Jim_bo

Posted August 23, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Hey... if one of you guys who have removed all of your starter stuff wants to get rid of your one way clutch, you can send it to me!!!

Jimbo

• ncmountainman

Posted August 23, 2004 - 05:57 PM

do they come in from canada with a midget ridin it,because takin him off would be the only way to lose 55 lbs :thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted August 23, 2004 - 06:33 PM

I believe he's referring to himself :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted August 24, 2004 - 06:01 AM

ahhhh! i'm no rocket scientist but the less you weigh the harder it is to move an object that would stay a constant weight? sumthin to do with inertia. my guess is if the bike weighs less, and you weigh less then you got it goin on! i could not beleive the difference after removing 11 lbs. i plan to go to yz rear fender,yz airbox,and have a ironman sprocket on order(they say the same weight as aluminum)have already pulled the odo(its a pos anyhow) have renthal fatbars on the way. renthal r1 and r3 chains claim to be lightweight ,and the sdg seat claims 1.5 lbs lighter.(yes i know it only fits yz but my clarke tank accomadates both)does anyone have any experience with these? :thumbsup: the chain has me wondering as i don't see many people who use it. :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jackazz

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:59 AM

FWIW, consider this. You would'nt buy a motorcycle from a piano company now would you? Oh wait, you did, & so did I! :thumbsup: Seriously though, why would you buy a chain from a company who's main products are handlebars & grips? Get a quality chain from a company who's main product (& there fore research & developemnt) concearn is chains, & know you've got a good one. I used to spend quite a bit of time on a UK forum, & found that even though Renthal chains are "cheap as chips" in the UK, they're considered trash & nobody uses them. Pretty well same as here, DID, Regina, & RK are the most popular.

Posted Image

• ncmountainman

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:38 AM

true that! my other choice was the erv2 x-ring from d.i.d. kinda pricey is it worth it? and from what i gather there is no masterlink? so is there a special tool,or do you just hammer the rivets in? :thumbsup:

• Jackazz

Posted August 24, 2004 - 09:34 AM

Personally, I don't know if I'd spend the extra $ for a "lighter" racing chain that probably (I did'nt check the specs) won't last as long as a "normal" one. If you're that concearned about being light, just take a big $h!t before you ride, it'll likely save more weight than the "race" chain, & it's free. (cost of toilet paper & water bill excluded) :thumbsup:
As far as the chain tool goes, If you're into buying quality tools once (instead of a few cheapys over time) I'd reccomend one of these. Motion pro is likely not the cheapest place to buy one, but I'd be willing to bet that if you start a chain breaker/riveting tool thread you'll have no shortage of input.

• rekless

Posted August 24, 2004 - 09:45 AM

I took all of the e-start equpt. off of mine a couple of months ago, and have been happy I did. I have my bike jetted pretty good, and seems to be sufficiently dialed in to start 1st kick, most of the time. I think I could feel the weight savings, but I'm not sure if it's my imagination?? Although if you really lose 11 lbs., maybe I can really feel it. I had no idea that all the $#!+ weighed that much. I closed off the hole by having a buddy tig weld a round piece of aluminum in the hole. Clean, and looks kinda cool too. I'm puttin it up for sale in the next couple of weeks, and I kinda hope to sell to someone on TT, so they understand why I took the starter off. I just left the one-way clutch on. rekless :devil: :thumbsup:

• Nate_R

Posted August 24, 2004 - 11:09 AM

If you run your bike with only 1 gallon of fuel in it minus the 11 lbs, it will be around 23 lbs lighter. You should REALLY notice that. I only took out the battery and ran 1 gal fuel, giving me a total of 18lbs less weight and i REALLY noticed it. Now when I jump the suspension is a lot stiffer and doesnt bottom as easy. It also feels a lot less top heavy. This is good for playing at the track but obviously you cant run only 1 gallon on the trails or in dez,etc.

• Khari

Posted August 24, 2004 - 12:14 PM

I have the DID ERV2 520 on my street bike. Though it does cost more than most, it is also rated as having one of the highest tensile strengths. After 2500 miles on a 140+ hp bike, the ERV2 hasn't really stretched at all, which is pretty unbelievable.

By the way, DID's website shows the ERV2 as a chain meant for street use. Is it being used in the dirt in place of the 520ERT/MX?

• ncmountainman

Posted August 24, 2004 - 12:57 PM

they offer it in motosports outlet and chapparrel i think i'll go with the vm x-ring alot cheaper and has about the same specs. i'll save the weight with the iron man sprockets they probly weigh a third of my jt's.

• Gadsen

Posted August 24, 2004 - 02:49 PM

Hey CandyAss! :devil: What planet did you weigh your bike on? :awww:

:lol:I knew I'd get a response. I went on the Atkins diet, man does the bike handle better. From 260 to 205 (me, not the bike) :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:25 PM

Sorry for the name but you used it on yourself first! Congratulations on the weight loss! You are now able to do MX jumps without landing short! :thumbsup:

• bobsktm

Posted August 24, 2004 - 06:10 PM

How much for the upgrade? :thumbsup: The "candy ass" thing was funny.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.