Hot Start - Useful?

11 replies to this topic
  • Eric_F

Posted August 23, 2004 - 12:32 AM

Does anyone actually use/need it? I have never needed it on my '02 WR426; it always fires up first kick. Some people must use it, because I've seen people mount it to the handlebars with a DRD kit, I believe it was. Possibly I'm running a tad rich? I went to the YAMAHA dealer and noticed it was not there on the '04s. Is the carb different, or was it a slightly useless feature to begin with?

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:24 AM

On the '04 models, the hot start is on the handlebar already.

Posted Image

I always use it when its hot. It makes it easier to start. Mine always fires on the 2nd or 3rd kick when hot.

I never really questioned its use. The book said use it so I do.

• Hamish

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:31 AM

if u crash and flood it you'll be up [@#$%&*!] creek without the hotstart.
The hotstart leans out the mixture. So if you never require it I'd say you'd be on the lean side.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:47 AM

It works very well on the 450's. A must for easy hot starting with proper jetting! :thumbsup:

• Eric_F

Posted August 23, 2004 - 09:05 AM

Ah, yes, I see now. It would be quite useful if flooded :thumbsup: That's cool that they put it up on the handlebars.

• Wrfrk

Posted August 23, 2004 - 09:27 AM

On my '00 400 I use mine quite often actually, though even whe it's hot I do not always need it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_H

Posted August 23, 2004 - 10:37 PM

Just forked out for a Dr. D...I've wanted one for 3 years.

I never know when I'll need to pull mine. If my bike doesn't start with one or two kicks when it's warm or when I fall, that's when I need it. :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:27 AM

Just forked out for a Dr. D...

I used a Dr. D remote hot start on my 02 WR426. I loved it!

Be sure to disconnect it from the carb occasionally and clean it. There have been a few that seized up inside the carb. I learned that on TT and never had a problem with it. :thumbsup:

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:28 AM

the hot start level works great for me when I need it.

• lewichris

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:58 AM

Does anyone actually use/need it? I have never needed it on my '02 WR426; it always fires up first kick. Some people must use it, because I've seen people mount it to the handlebars with a DRD kit, I believe it was. Possibly I'm running a tad rich? I went to the YAMAHA dealer and noticed it was not there on the '04s. Is the carb different, or was it a slightly useless feature to begin with?

i have never used it or needed it also.

• duckboy

Posted August 25, 2004 - 07:37 PM

My engine runs cooler now so I really don't use it much anymore but when I do need it my glad it there. :thumbsup:

• rohar

Posted August 26, 2004 - 04:52 PM

I would say critical rather than useful. It works great on the 450. If you are hot starting without it, your pilot circuit is likely lean already since that's basically what the hot start does.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.