Mich X-11

21 replies to this topic
  • Ronnie Mac

Posted August 22, 2004 - 07:21 PM

Anyone try this tires? Heard they were the hot. Just want to know if this is alot of hot air :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 23, 2004 - 04:09 AM

I just got mine in the tube type version. I am putting them on for September riding in Moab, Colorado and West Virginia. I hope they last a month. I plan to post a report in early October on the mileage and performance. Scott Ruxton ( great rider ) in Utah swears by the rear and uses an M12 front. For a four stroke rider that rides on the edge of traction the tires may last but forget about spinning them like the 2 smoke guys ride. I am planning to get about 1000 miles on them in the month of September! The big question for me is how the front tire will corner. I have an M12 ready to pop on if the X11 front does not handle very well. :thumbsup:

• simch

Posted August 23, 2004 - 08:25 AM

Are these MX tyres or Trials tyres? Read something on here about trials michelins being hot! Look a bit weird though?

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 23, 2004 - 10:04 AM

Michelin X11 are trials tires.

• tool

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:51 PM

ive been waiting to say this...
i am using a mich M12 intermediate rear at the moment. i paid $60 for this tire and i am not impressed at all. it was terrible at first, now it just has mediocre traction. :thumbsup: i dont understand that.
i would say that dunlop 756 + 773($55), maxxis soft terrain($43) and kenda millville($43) tires all have much better traction. i think the maxxis is the stickiest.
michelin tires are also very tight on the rim, i went through a couple of tubes when i tried to mount this one. dunlop, maxxis and kenda are all easier to mount.
this is the worst rear tire i have EVER tried. :devil:

• lewichris

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:57 PM

i am using a mich M12 intermediate rear at the moment. i paid $60 for this tire and i am not impressed at all. it was terrible at first, now it just has mediocre traction. :thumbsup: i dont understand that.
i would say that dunlop 756 + 773($55), maxxis soft terrain($43) and kenda millville($43) tires all have much better traction. i think the maxxis is the stickiest.
michelin tires are also very tight on the rim, i went through a couple of tubes when i tried to mount this one. dunlop, maxxis and kenda are all easier to mount.
this is the worst rear tire i have EVER tried. :devil:

I have about 7 friends that would argue with you on that one. Nothing but praise here. Once they do get a bit low the sides really start digging in better. I dont know what it is but that is all i will use.

• Ronnie Mac

Posted August 23, 2004 - 08:29 PM

Mine are on the way. I put alot of faith in a spoke-person for thumper talk on this tires.I hope they are all he said they would be. Cant wait to read your report and compair how mine performed to yours Indy. :thumbsup:

• TrialsRider

Posted August 23, 2004 - 09:46 PM

Ive used them for years on trials bikes, Haven't tried them on the WR yet. They're excellent for almost everything except deep sand and mud. Rears last me about a year, fronts 2-3. Probably less on a big bike.

Also check out IRC's, cheaper and about the same grip. Dunlop also has a trials tire, not sure on price.

• Nate_R

Posted August 23, 2004 - 09:59 PM

i am using a mich M12 intermediate rear at the moment. i paid $60 for this tire and i am not impressed at all. it was terrible at first, now it just has mediocre traction.

I second that. The michelin m 12 is the worst rear tire i have ever riden. It makes the bikes rear end feel like it is all over the place.It is Sooooooooo wobly and loose, it is a very flimsy , sucky tire if you ask me. It looks cool though.

• Nate_R

Posted August 23, 2004 - 10:04 PM

After I got used to the m-12 i didn't notice how bad it was as much, but when I switched to the maxxis maxcross It what a world of difference. Soooo much stiffer in the rear. Some people may like the m-12 i guess if they like the rear of the bike really loose and wandery. (is that a word?)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tool

Posted August 24, 2004 - 12:01 AM

After I got used to the m-12 i didn't notice how bad it was as much,

exactly, i thought it would at least perform well new, but it seems the "siping" of the knobs make the tire wander. once the knobs are worn a bit its get a little better.
i still havent found the kind of dirt this tire was made for. i think i will stay away from michelin, they are too pricey anyway.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 24, 2004 - 06:11 AM

maxxis IT , can't beat this tire for all around use. i beat the crap out of tires and after every ride i look at the tire and there is nothing but expected wear! as far as traction i'm also amazed slick snot,rocks, loose sand,the only place it may not shine is deep mud, but its still as good as most in the mud. yes they are a heavy tire,but if you ride hard its worth the peice of mind. my buddy just got some kenda millvilles and the dang side knobs are comin off! whats up with that? :thumbsup:

• dale

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:24 AM

After I got used to the m-12 i didn't notice how bad it was as much,

exactly, i thought it would at least perform well new, but it seems the "siping" of the knobs make the tire wander. once the knobs are worn a bit its get a little better.
i still havent found the kind of dirt this tire was made for. i think i will stay away from michelin, they are too pricey anyway.

If you ride where there is loose dirt or mud then the S12 is much better then the M12. It's not great on hardpack. It lasts very well and I buy them at the local KTM shop for under $60 with tax.

• lewichris

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:57 AM

maxxis IT , can't beat this tire for all around use. i beat the crap out of tires and after every ride i look at the tire and there is nothing but expected wear! as far as traction i'm also amazed slick snot,rocks, loose sand,the only place it may not shine is deep mud, but its still as good as most in the mud. yes they are a heavy tire,but if you ride hard its worth the peice of mind. my buddy just got some kenda millvilles and the dang side knobs are comin off! whats up with that? :thumbsup:

LOL north carolina has mountians?

The M-12 is the tire for the area that i live in. Not for track, not for sand, for rocks, poots, mud, and creek crossings. I agree, they are too expensive.

• blireef

Posted August 24, 2004 - 10:08 AM

Maxxis IT!!! End of story!! I do have an X11 for single track stuff but haven't tried it yet. I did ride a friends wr 250 with the X11 and the traction in the woods was incredible so when my knee replacement gets well I'll putit on. Maxxis wears better than the dunlop 739AT in the desert. :thumbsup: :devil:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 24, 2004 - 10:17 AM

I tell you what. I am playing around with the X11 tires I have and they feel just like gummy bears! Sticky soft and very flexible side walls. The only issue I am having is the interior is larger than on a normal front dirt tire and my tire balls dont fit snug enough inside and they will most likely turn side ways and get out of position. I may have to run a front tube with the tire balls on the rear. :thumbsup: I think my WR will be able to walk up walls with these tires. They look like they will cut and chunk up in the rocks at high speed. :devil:

• dale

Posted August 24, 2004 - 12:54 PM

I tell you what. I am playing around with the X11 tires I have and they feel just like gummy bears! Sticky soft and very flexible side walls. The only issue I am having is the interior is larger than on a normal front dirt tire and my tire balls dont fit snug enough inside and they will most likely turn side ways and get out of position. I may have to run a front tube with the tire balls on the rear. :devil: I think my WR will be able to walk up walls with these tires. They look like they will cut and chunk up in the rocks at high speed. :awww:

But can they handle the midwest mud? The S12 does great and the Dunlop 756 is also good all around. :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 24, 2004 - 01:26 PM

X11's are not for sand or mud or high speed cornering on loose dirt! They are only a tire for trials type riding with a dirt bike! S12's are my overall choice as well. Good to see you posting over here Dale. :thumbsup:

• Ronnie Mac

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:13 PM

So are the S12 the best overall tire?

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:47 PM

Absolutely the S12's rock! get the 140 rear it is a 120 actual size. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.