Heavy Breathing?

12 replies to this topic
  • XR6

Posted August 22, 2004 - 03:02 PM

Hi Folks,

First I'd like to say hello as a newbie to both the XR, enduro bikes and this site.

I just bought a 1994 XR600R today - my first big single bike and overall I'm pretty pleased with myself :thumbsup:

I'm concerned that the crankcase breather seems to be breathing a little heavily: when the bike is idling there is quite a strong pulse of air coming from the crank breather pipe. I'd really like to know if this is normal or if it shows signs of bore wear (compression leaking past the rings?).

Thanks for all and any advice you can offer,

Ian.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted August 22, 2004 - 10:56 PM

Mine blows out a bit too. Don't really know if it's normal or not. :devil: Mine starts right up if I follow the drill, has plenty of power and doesn't use any oil. Welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

• frankstr

Posted August 23, 2004 - 04:26 AM

Can't answer the breathing ? :devil:
But welcome aboard TT :thumbsup:

• XR6

Posted August 23, 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the welcomes. I guess I'll just ride it and see how far I get. I'm sooo looking forward to next weekend....

Cheers & beers,

Ian.

• roosterk0031

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:54 AM

I would think it's pretty normal, when that piston moves up and down every stroke it displaces 598cc of air so that much air has to go in and out of the crank case every stoke. Although I've never noticed on my 87 xr600. David

• flyinW

Posted August 24, 2004 - 01:53 PM

Ya... the huffing thing is normal... the OE factory manual discusses ways to be sure that the hoses are routed properly to ensure that the outdoors don't enter into the crankcase.

L8R :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR6

Posted August 24, 2004 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for putting my mind at rest on that one - can't wait for the weekend to come around.

• Rockjockey

Posted August 24, 2004 - 02:52 PM

Check out the K&N crankcase filter it works great and looks sano. :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 24, 2004 - 03:18 PM

You do know that heavy breathing draws masquitos? Might be a good idea to keep a safe distance from you if riding with you. :thumbsup: :devil:

• XR6

Posted August 24, 2004 - 03:46 PM

The wobbly way I ride, another country could be considered the safest distance :thumbsup:

• smashinz2002

Posted August 24, 2004 - 08:03 PM

Hey there from UK, That huffing thing is normal dude. When the piston goes down on it's stroke, it's pressurizing the crankcase and it is expelled through the breather. A friend of mine has an '87 XR600 and it does that same thing, not a problem. Just make sure that hose never gets pinched.
And have fun riding your newly aquired XR600R!!!!!
L.L.
'00 XR650R
'04 KX500

• roosterk0031

Posted August 26, 2004 - 05:44 AM

The hose the comes out of the crank case should hit a "t" with one hose going down, and the other going up, I believe the hose on the bottom is kind of crimped to prevent water from going up it and let oil out, I think the up branch goes to the air box to suck fairly clean air in. Where are you seeing the puffing? I've never noticed it on mine. David

• XR6

Posted August 29, 2004 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

Now I've thought more about it the original question was probably a dumb one - I've only had multi cylinder machines before where the down strokes of one cylinder would be offset by the up strokes of another, thereby equalising crankcase pressure.

On a single cylinder there is always going to be crankcase pressure.

roosterk0031: I never saw any puffing - just felt the pressure coming from the crankcase breather on my hand as I was checking the bike out. I now know that it's nothing I should have been concerned about.

Thanks to everyone for the sensible and accurate replies.

Ian.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.